Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I'm new to the forum, looking for some advice . I have a 2000 reg R1. If i dont use it for 3 to 4 days the battery dies , its been to the garage and had a full check over with volt meter , the verdict was that every things is working fine , its because the dash on this model is always live so that is what causes the problem , advice was to put a descent battery on it as the one it came with isn’t the top brand. I bought the bike from a friend hew says thats not the problem , i trust the garage as has a good rep and in my area he is well known for being a great motorcycle mechanic and also trust my friends opinion that is isn’t the dash causing the battery to be drained .

And everything has been checked on a volt meter . Out of ideas...

has anyone else had this problem?!

Just looking for some other opinions on this .

thanks all in advance

Stuart

·
Moving sucks...
10,144 Posts
Hi all

I'm new to the forum, looking for some advice . I have a 2000 reg R1. If i dont use it for 3 to 4 days the battery dies , its been to the garage and had a full check over with volt meter , the verdict was that every things is working fine , its because the dash on this model is always live so that is what causes the problem , advice was to put a descent battery on it as the one it came with isn’t the top brand. I bought the bike from a friend hew says thats not the problem , i trust the garage as has a good rep and in my area he is well known for being a great motorcycle mechanic and also trust my friends opinion that is isn’t the dash causing the battery to be drained .

And everything has been checked on a volt meter . Out of ideas...

has anyone else had this problem?!

Just looking for some other opinions on this .

thanks all in advance

Stuart
Assuming your battery is a lead-acid type. Buy a Battery Tender, wire up the harness so the connector is outside of your bodywork zip-tied and out of the way. If you're not riding the bike it should live on the Tender.

·
Registered
470 Posts
3-4 days indicates a short imo.

Ohm the harness to ground and if that turns up null ohm the sensors.

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
All a volt meter will do is exactly that, measure voltage. The amount of voltage indicated on a volt meter is not an indication of battery health, in terms of holding a charge.

I have the same bike as you. To the best of my knowledge, when the ignition is off, the only power used, is a small current to the digital clock, not enough to drain a good battery in 3-4 days. The odometer miles, including the trip mileage is stored in the ecu.

It sounds like a new battery is in order. I have bought one battery since I have owned my bike since 2008. I replaced the battery in June of 2018. My bike is hooked up to a battery tender, like Moonlighter said. I have the connectors permanently hooked up to the battery, and discretely zip-tied.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts