Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm installing stock cams in a friends 2000 r1 and i don't see and marks on the cam to line up with head. Does anybody know where they are or how many pins from dot to dot they are suppose to be? Thanks for any reply..

·
THE MAN
3,743 Posts
you need to buy/borrow/or download a service manual for that bike.

It's way too much to type.

·
Ghostrider Squadron
9,251 Posts
its not that.. there is dot on intake and exaust cams.. the exhaust cam dot is like close to #4 cylinder.. its like 2nd cam tower from end.. the intake cam has dot on it.... the cam towers have little arrow in middle to line up with dot. u need piston on compression stroke at TDC and mark on crank lined up... the line dots up on cams. there is no mention of pins or rollers in between cams like zooks and other brands. having serviced manual helps... look on first page of general discussion... for post from R1budha... or search his name... i think its titled like.. whovever the idiot is...... there is link to download then PDF of service manuals for all year R1.

·
Smokin Hot R1
78 Posts
TDC MARK on the pickup coil rotor IS ALIGNED WITH THE CRANKCASE MATING SURFACE .make sure punch marks on the front cam are in line with thetop right side of the camshaft cap[first set of bolts] on the 2nd cam the punch marks are in at the second camshaft cap first set of bolts that hold it down ****DO NOT TURN THE CRANK ******WHEN DOING THIS JOB TORQUE OF CAMSHAFT CAP BOLT IS 10 Nm / cam sprocket torque is 24 Nm

·
Registered
19 Posts
cam timing

Maybe I'm missing something here, but I feel like timing the cams properly is really straightforward and easy.

There are dots on the cam gears (both intake and exhaust) and as long as they line up perfectly and the crank mark for TDC lines up right where the crankcase split is you should be fine.

I remember when doing my FZR the above is pretty much all I did...it two trials to get the dots to line up perfectly after tightening down all of the cam caps.

I am in the process of putting my cams back in and timing them, stock cams. I downloaded this "service manual" PDF and it doesn't say anything about how to time cams...it is a very basic service manual that doesn't cover much.

·
my car feels neglected.
54 Posts
You got the right idea...it IS that simple! There is no super complicated timing method, unless of course you've gotten yourself into adjustable cam sprockets and/or an adjustable pickup rotor...then it gets complicated and you better get yourself a timing light.

The dots that everyone is referring to are on the cams themselves and not the cam sprockets. According to the service manual, both dots have to be aligned with the arrows on the cam caps when the #1 cylinder is at TDC...that's it...the dot on the intake cam is on the left near #1 cylinder and the dot on the exhaust cam is on the right near #4 cylinder.

remember to tighten those cam caps in a crisscross pattern to 10Nm, and since the cam lobes will be pointing down, compressing a set of valve springs, be extra careful when tightnening that cap. I usually go a quarter turn at a time for each bolt in a crisscross pattern from the outside in.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Cam Timing When There Are No Dots On The Cams

You got the right idea...it IS that simple! There is no super complicated timing method, unless of course you've gotten yourself into adjustable cam sprockets and/or an adjustable pickup rotor...then it gets complicated and you better get yourself a timing light.

The dots that everyone is referring to are on the cams themselves and not the cam sprockets. According to the service manual, both dots have to be aligned with the arrows on the cam caps when the #1 cylinder is at TDC...that's it...the dot on the intake cam is on the left near #1 cylinder and the dot on the exhaust cam is on the right near #4 cylinder.

remember to tighten those cam caps in a crisscross pattern to 10Nm, and since the cam lobes will be pointing down, compressing a set of valve springs, be extra careful when tightnening that cap. I usually go a quarter turn at a time for each bolt in a crisscross pattern from the outside in.
I do not want to make a mistake, my cams came from fix power sports via e-bay. These for the RX1 03 snowmobile motor. But they do not have the dot marks on them. so how do I time it now.?

Thanks, SAINTLEN

·
Registered
9 Posts
Cam Timing When There Are No Dots On The Cams

pm me for diagrams and instructions, i need your email address.

The dots are really hard to find. a diagram makes it simple
OK, I FOUND OUT THESE CAMS DO NOT HAVE DOTS.

I CALLED PAT HAULK AND HE TOLD ME TO LOOK FOR A LINE ACROSS THE END OF THESE CRANKS AND LINE IT UP WITH THE HEAD . HAD TO TAKE THEM OUT SIDE TO SE THE LINES BUT THEY ARE THERE.

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP.

SAINTLEN (STORMEN NORMAN ):fork

·
Banned
191 Posts
on the cam sprockets there are are marks that will help you line them up. there is also a dot on each side of the cams that are alike. I can take a snapshot of my cams with the dots lined up with the cam gear dots that make a perfect horizontal line up when positioned correctly.

On the crankshaft sprocket make sure the piston behind it is UP not down when lined up for TDC aligned with cams.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.