Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2000 R1 carbureted, stock. Didn't want to start today. Turning over good, seemed like only one or two cylinders were popping. Previously was hard start if not ridden in a month. Plugs original on 25K miles. Has run perfectly after warmup. Question is this. At 25K, the valves are supposed to be reshimmed. Looks like a mess to do, timing chain comes off, etc. Pulling plugs are a part of that valve job. So if I tear this bike apart, am I going to see everything still in tolerance? Should I just replace the plugs? What is everyone seeing on these bikes as to when the valves are NEEDING shimming? I'm scared about some idiot (me or hired) getting a valve tight and killing a great running bike that just needs plugs. Any experienced opinions?

·
Registered
'08 r1
1,045 Posts
Valves are due. Take it to a reputable shop for a tune up if you feel uncomfortable doing the work yourself. Ask for plugs, a valve adjustment, cab cleaning and a carb sync. It'll be spendy, but worth it and well under the cost of a new bike.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wonder if there is water in the gas. It ran fine not too long ago. It has never had ethanol in it. I suspect carbs are nice but maybe water in them. Will check service manual on draining.

·
Registered
'08 r1
1,045 Posts
It's definitely possible that you have water in the fuel system, the valves are still due though. After doing a valve adjustment, you are supposed to resync the carburetors. You should also replace plugs when you do a tune up.

The carbs are over 20 years old. I'd clean them with a solution of 50/50 pinsol and distilled water and I'd use compressed air to blow out the circuits (I'd also fire up the ultrasonic cleaner, but not everyone has that luxury). I'd also inspect the rubber when I was in there. And the float needles and seats.

That's just me though, you do you bud, good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just pulled the top of the air box. Drained two carbs. No sign of water. Put pump/filter output into bottle, good flow no water. Non-ethanol gas. Sprayed a bit of starter fluid down the throats and didn't get a good pop or two. Suspect old plugs won't fire and got wet. Wonder if turning over at full throttle no choke will blow them dry? Anyways looks like time for plugs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bike is running good as new. A bit more battery voltage & held open the throttle with choke off while starting. Plugs must have been wet.

·
My R1 eats chip & seal.
61 Posts
Glad you got it back up and running. Just had to chime in. In your first post you stated the plugs were original and the (21 year old) bike had 25k miles. If I saw your post sooner, I would have highly recommended a tune-up, at the very least new plugs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts