Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still having problems with starting when hot also cannot get bike to idle ,I have got seafoam in good gas right now even though carbs were rebuilt earlier this year it ran fine after that I have tried adjusting idle adjuster but just makes bike rev errratically driving me nuts is it possible it's battery stator is charging 14+volts

·
Registered
659 Posts
I think that problematic hot starts can be a sign you're in need of a valve adjustment. Have you done that recently?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Valve were checked an were in tolerance i only ride bike on track only 24k on odometer

·
Registered
659 Posts
Seeing that you track the bike I assume you have mods done to it. Did you change out the jets accordingly to meet the air/fuel needs?

What was the last modification or maintenance done to the bike before you started experiencing issues?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Only mods was slip on and jet kit over 10 years ago late spring this year had carbs completely cleaned and rebuilt synched did one track day it ran good i started it regularly through summer then all this is somewhat recent i put fresh gas in even though i already had stabilin the tank

·
Registered
659 Posts
I'd start with the simple stuff then: Air filter, spark plugs, coils, etc. If all check out you might want to do a compression test. Have you done anything that could cause the timing to be off? I'm kind of grasping at straws here lol.

You asked about the battery which sound like it's charging just fine. What's the voltage when off? Should be ~12.8V when fully charged, however I don't think this would have much of an effect on the idle.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Compression checked when valves were checked ignition timing i didnt think was adjustable i dont know about coils not sure how to check them spark plugs are new

·
Registered
659 Posts
I was referring to cam timing. Considering you ran a track day without issue I doubt that it's the problem. I think the only way it might have gotten off is when the valve adjustment was done. You'll have to grab a copy of the service manual, but I believe there's a way to test the coils with a voltmeter.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think checking valve clearances is a little beyond my payscale lol it gets to a point on a 20 year old bike the cost is getting to much if you know what i mean but thanks for your input but i may check coils

·
Is there anybody out there?
4,035 Posts
Sounds like you have one or more pilot jets plugged. I know you had the carbs gone through but I've seen the pilot jets plug up in as little a two weeks. Very easy to pull the carbs yourself and clean your pilots.

Mark

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have seafoam in gas do you think that will help are the pilot jets in the float chamber ?its looks complicated to take off the carbs but will have another look thank you

·
Is there anybody out there?
4,035 Posts
Seafoam will probably eventually work but if it were me, I'd pull the pilot jets and make sure. Here's a procedure I wrote on how to pull the pilot jets:

Pull the tank, remove your choke cable, drain your float bowls, loosen the screws on the carb boots, remove entire carb bank and flip it upside down. Pull float bowls, remove your pilot and main jets and clean them with carb cleaner. I'd also squirt a bit of carb cleaner into the fuel inlet ports and also clean the little rubber stoppers. No reason to pull the throttle cables and make sure you put an old rag over the intake ports so you don't lose any screws in unwanted places. After cleaning your pilot jets, it's a good idea to blow compressed air through them to make sure they're open.

Mark

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good afternoon sharksawyer have been working trying to remove carb bank been rocking them back and forth but to no avail is there something i am missing or am i not pulling on them hard enough thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks mark got them of i was not pulling hard enough got the float bowl off surprised the amount of dirt in there considering the were supposed to have been rebuilt etc

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Solved my idle problem blocked pilot jets now motor doesn't crank over very well just put on new yuasa battery still doesn't crank good thinking starter motor .my question is how easy to remove starter motor also are these rebuild kits from ricks any good bike has less than 27k on it thanks for any input for this post and also previous posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Seen a youtube vid old mate found that his starting issue was carby float bowl needle and seat wasn’t sealing and flooded engine once fixed no slow cranking from the starter find his YouTube vids 25 videos on engine rebuild of a 5jj motor 2000 model no 24 or 25 video in his series it was

1 - 20 of 20 Posts