Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, Newbie here been lurking for a while and leaching information, the place has been great for getting info for what I needed and I'd like to thank you all for that.. So I thought I'd show you my R1 fighter build.. Nothing fancy just keeping it simple, and I know you all aren't the biggest fans of fighters but for those who like I hope you enjoy.. Cheers

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Knowing nothing about R1's except the fact I like them.. (I'm an oil cooled man) I grabbed a manual and hasn't this thing been great..

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well she was desperately in need of a new clutch, so that was first thing I purchased, followed by a new stator cover as mine was a little scratched up..

Before

After

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Next I moved onto the front end.. I really didn't like the gold forks and blue dot brakes, so I managed to get a really good condition 03 set of forks of fleabay..

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The swingarm had also seen better days with some deep gouges, dints and scratches.. So I got hold of an 01 swinger in much better condition..

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I sprayed the blue dots gloss black and also the bottom of my 03 forks.. Much better in my opinion.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Then I stripped it.. and off with the triples to get a freshen up with black.. and fresh tapered steering head bearings were installed.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Then On with the forks, Renthal fat bar risers and Bars.. BXP front resi.. and the dominator headlight setup, I'm still not sold on these I have other plans for headlight yet.. also fitted new left switch gear.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So the front end was all but sorted.. and a quick thankyou to member CHUCKH, whom I got the idea off for the front end conversion and followed his advice from other threads.. Cheers..

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The engine had also seen better days, so I replaced the oil pump cover with a freshly less gouged painted one and touched up the cylinder head, all with VHT engine enamel, I'd still yet to get to the clutch.. so it was painted later.. also slowly replacing all the bolts with polished stainless jobs..

Before

After

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It was starting to take the plain, simple and clean shape I was aiming for. so I did a bit of photoshop on potential colour choices before I moved on to the back end..

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Oh and I got the clutch sorted and cover resprayed aswell as shiny bolts fitted.. many thanks to the detailed how too's on here, made fitting a breeze. I'd also fitted the front race setup Hel braided lines and the extended clutch cable from UK streetfighter store..

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Moved on to the rear end..

Stripping down

Cleaned everything I could get my hands and tooth brush into.. It didn't scrub up to bad for 10 years worth of grime..

Also scrubbed up suspension components..

Got rear wheel sorted, cleaned, new bearings just like front, new sprocket etc..

Fitted replacement swinger with new bearings also..

Came up a treat, heaps cleaner than what it was..

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Purchased some of them chinesey Pazzos, Chizzos if you will. lol.. they looked great and felt great but fitting wasn't straight forward.. the clutch mounting hole was 8mm while the R1 has a 10mm bush that reduces it to 6mm for the bolt.. well atleast in mine it did, so I drilled out the lever, no dramas there fitted straight on, but brake lever when fitted depresses in the piston on the master cylinder thus riding the brakes... Also fitted Driven skully grips..

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Soo before I could modify the lever anymore, I was pointed in the direction of some CRG levers from AUSFR in Oz, $162 (Oz dollars) Delivered.. couldn't pass that up so grabbed em.. fitting them was a pleasure and the quality is awesome..

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Fitted new gold XRing chain..

Sprayed rear caliper

Also rear Brembo freshen up and fitted BXP 30 degree resi

Got hold of a rear Venhill braided swivel line, great quality..

Also bolts from Tasty Nuts (Pro bolt) Started rolling in.. I'm slowly replacing all the visible bolts on the bike..

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Got headers sandblased and removed the exup valve setup, it was all corroded and the cables were trashed, so I'm hoping to get it sorted eventually, I'll get a 5 degree ignition advancer a dynojet kit and have it all dyno tuned when I get my new exhaust..

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Pulled her out into the sunshine, and scrubbed the crap out of the oil pan and fitted more stainless goodies.. so as it stands today here she is..

1 - 20 of 123 Posts
About this Discussion
122 Replies
39 Participants
cyclepsycho7
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing