Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just abought a 2000 r1 the other day, and i replace the rectifier (it needed it), and the battery. this morning when i went to take it out i put it in gear and gave it some gas. when i did that i heard a pop and now there is a clicking noise and the bike wont move even with it in gear and giving it gas, im hoping that maybe its something with the clutch.
the cables didnt break and they are in good condition. im new to yamahas in general. can someone help me diagnose the problem?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A pop is not a good noise.

Remove clutch cover, inspect clutch, change and inspect oil. Advise from there.
one of the clutch discs did break, would it be best to replace all of them and the friction plate/spacer ?

·
Registered
439 Posts
Can you post a couple more pics of the basket and the housing? Is the material on the housing loose? Or is it chipped?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can you post a couple more pics of the basket and the housing? Is the material on the housing loose? Or is it chipped?
its loose little fargment that will come out with my finger

Attachments

·
Registered
439 Posts
Pull the basket and put it in the parts cleaner then take a closer look. Drop the oil. Inspect it closely. Replace the filter. After reassembly and repacking, drop the oil again and inspect it closely and replace the filter and inspect it closely after a short interval.

That's my advice.

Good luck bud, I'm probably making a mountian out of nothing, but I'm paranoid.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pull the basket and put it in the parts cleaner then take a closer look. Drop the oil. Inspect it closely. Replace the filter. After reassembly and repacking, drop the oil again and inspect it closely and replace the filter and inspect it closely after a short interval.

That's my advice.

id rather be paranoid and do all of that, than just replace the one and something worse happen lol

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

That's my advice.

so i was able to get replace the discs and clean everything and now im having trouble trying to get the clutch cable back how its used to be. i know the peice that the cable attaches to is supposed to line up the the arrow on the casing, but now matter how i do it, they wont line up. im thinking about taking it to the shop, but i don want to pay for the hours lol

·
Registered
439 Posts
It looks funny, but I don't think it is 180° out. Try this:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It looks funny, but I don't think it is 180° out. Try this:
i was able to get it lined up and, and now its hard to pull, the little lever thing doesnt have much movement forward when i pull the clutch in, im going to do some more adjusting tomorrow when its a little warmer. i made sure that i put everything back how i pulled it out. could it possibly be that since there is no oil, that could be the problem?

·
Registered
439 Posts
I mean, maybe? But the basket looked pretty grooved in the photos, so that could also be an issue. Or it could just need some more adjustment.

Sorry I can't be more help bud. Maybe someone will come along with better advice.

·
Is there anybody out there?
4,173 Posts
Bottom line is when the push lever is rotated forward the dot should stop at the arrow. This is the point where it starts to pull the clutch plates apart. If they aren't aligned, pull the cover slowly while putting pressure on the push lever. Once you get the cover out far enough, the lever will skip a tooth. Put the cover back on and see where the dot and arrow are. Rinse and repeat if not correct.

Mark

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Bottom line is when the push lever is rotated forward the dot should stop at the arrow. This is the point where it starts to pull the clutch plates apart. If they aren't aligned, pull the cover slowly while putting pressure on the push lever. Once you get the cover out far enough, the lever will skip a tooth. Put the cover back on and see where the dot and arrow are. Rinse and repeat if not correct.

Mark
it looks like there are some peices missing, that were not there when i pulled it apart, a couple of things were missing in the clutch boss

1 - 20 of 34 Posts