Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
New video by Jason Wheeler so im still having problems with the clutch, but i decided to turn it on to see if that sound was still there and it is. that link will take you to the video. i only turned it on for the duration of the video. my only guess is maybe its the cam shaft. if it is that cam shaft would it be worth it to rebuild it or to just get rid of the bike

·
Registered
472 Posts
This is your basket right?

That might be the plates rattling.

Did you clean the basket up when you washed it? Take the scallops out?

·
Registered
472 Posts
Grab a screw driver or socket extension and use it as a stethoscope to see where the noise is coming from.

Hold it against the engine case in various places.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
it sounds like the noise is coming from the camshaft chain area in the lower engine. i didnt here it coming from the top if the engine, also there was a slight high pitched noise coming from that side of the bike when i was moving it

·
Registered
472 Posts
I'd remove the cam chain tensioner and timing covers if I were in your shoes. I'd also remove the oil pan and check the strainer. And I'd verify the cam timing. I'd also inspect the chain links for any foreign material.

If you are uncomfortable with this, I'd take if to a shop. I'd also ask for a tune up.

Good luck bud.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
ok i turned it back and and listened to it again, the noise is definitly comeing from the clutch area. and when i give it gas the knocking gets faster

·
Registered
472 Posts
ok i turned it back and and listened to it again, the noise is definitly comeing from the clutch area. and when i give it gas the knocking gets faster
Then I bet it's plates rattling in the scallops in the basket. That's just a bet though.

An you should still drop the pan and check and clean the strainer.

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
Did you remove the wire circlip inside of the clutch housing to remove the last clutch plate and disk? That is the most jacked up clutch I have ever seen.

Btw, the arrows will not line up if the pull lever shaft and the pull rod are not splined correctly.

Good call on the poster that recommended to pull the pan to thoroughly clean.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts