Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In a 2000 motor I'm going to use the timing chain tension was removed before I got the motor I need to know if the timing chain and gears are on right before i put the motor back together. can any one help me out.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok Guys a little help please TIMING ISSUE

I got the R1 back together and running. The only thing seams like a timing issue, the bike pops and backfires at low rpm's under 2000. Is it possible the timing is off by one notch on the timing chain to crank? The bike doesn't have good response when you open up the throttle it seams to lag. let me know what you guys think thanks.

·
NeeD 4 SpeeD
5,441 Posts
man , i really think u should download the manual and check how to adjust the cams .
i hope u didnt do any damage so far.
google 98-99 r1 manual (same as yours)

·
Registered
322 Posts
I got the R1 back together and running. The only thing seams like a timing issue, the bike pops and backfires at low rpm's under 2000. Is it possible the timing is off by one notch on the timing chain to crank? The bike doesn't have good response when you open up the throttle it seams to lag. let me know what you guys think thanks.
It is really easy to be a tooth or two out.I'd do what sssr suggests and get a manual pronto.
Looks like it should be a nice bike.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
????????

I have the manual and set the bike up to the manual. and checked twice before putting the motor back in. I'm just curious if this is possible to do? Have the crank a tooth off. I put a timing light on the bike and it seams to be in timing @ 1500RPM TDC is right before the split in the case. The bike idles but just back fires every few minutes and it seams to not have a quick enough throttle response.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well guys i found out the problem. I was not paying attention when putting in the plug wires and had 3 & 4 swapped. What a dummy! I was distracted with my buddies when i was putting it back together, my fault. Runs great now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.