Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to look at my buddies 2000 yzf r1 to see if I could help him out after a tumble. The rear subframe is bent pretty bad and I'm at a bit of a loss. I suggested we buy one and just have it tigged back in place. He says all of the salvage yards say NO! Bend it back cold and that's it. That's it short of what??? Replacing a whole frame? This rear section is pretty messed up. Can anyone enlighten me on an acceptable repair procedure? My Bud is fussy and won't do anything if it isn't "proper". Don't they put "trick" rear subframes etc. on these bikes? Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update: I checked with Yammy Dealer. Part is not available separate from frame. Does that mean the only acceptable repair is to straighten or frame replacement? I have heard something about some guys using later sub's with bolt on ears? Chime in guys. Any guidance here is better than none. Thanks a lot.

·
AFTERHELLBURNER
1,725 Posts
If you check ema's website their bike of the week is a 2000 R1. They fabbed up a removable swingarm it's something I'm going to do on my next 00-01 R71 project. I'm even thinking of getting a custom made subframe for track use since it will only have to support my weight and a racetail

·
NeeD 4 SpeeD
5,441 Posts
most of the time it can be bent back, if not u can buy one from later model 02-03 and weld it.
i'm not sure if u gonna have to use 02-03 tail fairing also .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.