Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
My ZX-10 eats me.
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just came back from the dealer and I sat on a all yellow Ducati 2001, 748. It was soooo nice. It was light but seemed kinda long. I asked the dealer if I could drive it, he just looked at me and said :no Then I went and sat on the 998. Those are some pretty bikes. But I have no idea about em. Still waitin for my zx-10 to arrive. :jump

·
Moving sucks...
10,144 Posts
The Ducati's and the new ZX-10R are as different as they could possibly be. I would say that if you're not already bitten by the Ducati bug, you're probably better off with the Kawi. If you gotta have a Ducati (I had to), I would buy this year as there are still new 748/998 models around, versus the 749/999 models. IMHO, Ducati ruined a great looking bike with the 749/999 revision, but that's purely a matter of taste.

Good luck with whatever you buy!!

·
Big Pimpin'
190 Posts
Moonlighter said:
If you gotta have a Ducati (I had to), I would buy this year as there are still new 748/998 models around, versus the 749/999 models. IMHO, Ducati ruined a great looking bike with the 749/999 revision, but that's purely a matter of taste.
I know what you mean, my next bike will probably be a Yellow or Red 998. :yesnod As I get older, the speed isn't quite as important as it used to be. The 998 is just plain sexy!

Eric

·
My ZX-10 eats me.
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My second bike will probably be the 01 748. Yellow of coarse. The only thing was it didn't have a seat in the rear for my femaleS to ride on.

·
Biker Boy Batman
238 Posts
Hell yeah the older Duck is WAY better lookin then the new ones.Gotta love the yellow,a little loud but the red is just damn sexy and nothin beats the sound of that L-twin engine:thumbup
drdan86

·
ALL THIS MODS GETS ME BROKE:(
3,318 Posts
when i sold my 00 R1 i was torn between 2001 748 and a 2002 R1 and i was in this forum looking for some feedback on the Duc a lot said it's high maintainance some said GO FOR IT but i did not have a chance to ride on to make my decision . If i would have another shot, I would definitely get a Duc, but it would be a 996.

·
7th Kyu
1,473 Posts
I had a 1995 Ducati 916 in Red, and I will say that it is the last Ducati I will ever own. I was very spoiled by Japanese sport bikes and was not ready for the "commitment" I was going to make to owning an Italian Sportbike.

It was the most uncomfortable motorcycle I ever owned and was alot more maintenance then I was used to. But to top it off, it had alot of problems. The exhaust was rotting after 2 months with only 1200 miles on the clock and had some other issues. then again, I believe 1995 was the last year they were handmade so that might have had something to do with it. Mario must have had alot of wine the night before building my bike. :lol

Attachments

·
Moving Chicane
782 Posts
Its a great second bike for just trolling around town, especially if you put a half system on and like the sound of a twin.

If you actually get to ride one, you will find they are not that light and they are actually pretty slow in stock form. They get a little better with a chip and pipes, but they still are pretty soft.

That one is an S model, so its more desirable, but the depreciation and frequent turnover tells you quite a bit about how much the buyers like them. Alot of guys bought them cause they thought they be more like a 996 just cheaper, but the difference are bigger than you'd think. Just be clear on why want to buy it, cause they dont resell that well. But the price is decent.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts