Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
My R1 eats my wallet
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I have looked/ searched all the posts about this system, and PMed a few people on here too, so far I haven't heard anything back.

So, here is my question:
Before I go through all the BS :snorkel of pulling the radiator and potentially breaking an exhaust manifold bolt off in the head:banghead: , I would like to know if I can just disable the AIS. I want to see what help if any is noticeable in the backfire/ popping area. As it is currently, I have a large amount of crackle and pop (all my exhaust joints are tight w/out any leaks, and the can has been re-assemble using high temperature RTV at both end )

From what I can tell, if I just block of the large hose going to the air box, and plug the small vacuum line this should yield the same result as if I have pulled the system.

Is this correct?

·
My R1 eats my wallet
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
u need to block the 4 holes comming from the head near the headers.
I know that I will need to do this after I remove the AIS, but will what I said work to test the effects of removal prior to actually removing the AIS?

·
My R1 eats my wallet
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for answering my question brother.

I have a K&N filter, D&D slip-on(was a full set, but with my 260lbs. I needed the exup back to leave stop lights without clutching the heck out of it), and a dyno jet kit. The bike has always crackled a little from stock, but with the D&D you can really hear it now. The bike runs fine, but the popping does not do this bike justice.

I just had the bike dyno tuned and rejeted (they disabled the AIS when they jetted it, but it is all there now), so the air/fuel is more or less right. I thought getting a better rejet would cure this, it did not, but it runs a lot better now.

FWIW: If this mod does what I want it to, I will be tapping the end of the elbows and using some high temp RVT as a thread lock(it worked great at keeping bolts from vibrating out on my 360 SX bike, and the R1 is not that buzzy).

Thanks again

·
My R1 eats my wallet
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was thinking loctite would be useless because of the heat(it melts). The jam nut thing I never thought of, I might use that Idea, thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.