Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 R1 that stood for a long time. It was running when i parked it. There is now no tension on the clutch push rod. I can push the clutch lever all the way to the end with my thumb. I opened the clutch cover and found a lot of slack on the push rod. How much slack should this pin have? I think whats happening is that the push rod pulls all the way into the casing hole and bottoms out against the cover before even touching the bearing face. Did something break? The clutch does not engage. Engine remains in neutral in any gear. Logic says the opposite should be the case. According to me pulling on the rod disengages the clutch plates. So why would the clutches remain disengaged?

·
Banned
420 Posts

Do you mean part #20 as called a push rod? Part #23 has a cam or egg shaped ramp at that numbered area, and that egg shape on the #23 shaft begins to push the rod out against part #11. If part #14 has lost its spring tension, or all 6 bolts backed out/stripped out, which I doubt, this can cause that wave plate to show no tension at the clutch lever.

The next are the plates of #9. 10, 6, and 7 are locked in a groove in basket #1 {clutch outer} or inner basket {clutch center}, then you can no longer get #3 boss {clutch center} basket, use is screwed!

So things to look for are:
1. #23's egg shape or ramp is just round without ramp, and this will send the lever to the grip with a thumb push.
2. #1 and #3 grooves are so deep, it's as if the plates are expanded, locked in their grooves, as if no spring tension.
3. All 6 bolts of #16 have backed out, pulled out of their threads in center basket #3... which I doubt.
4. Clutch cable could be broken and holding axle #23 fully extended to #'s9&10 can no longer be pressing those plates having the wave plate #14 pushed away from the plates and the friction just spin in the big baskets spinning with the engine, and the steels remain stationary with the back wheel... no movement.
5. Tear down and inspect if #23 has no egg shape, #'s1&3 baskets are deeply grooved, or #'s9&10 are burnt out, no joy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Do you mean part #20 as called a push rod? Part #23 has a cam or egg shaped ramp at that numbered area, and that egg shape on the #23 shaft begins to push the rod out against part #11. If part #14 has lost its spring tension, or all 6 bolts backed out/stripped out, which I doubt, this can cause that wave plate to show no tension at the clutch lever.

The next are the plates of #9. 10, 6, and 7 are locked in a groove in basket #1 {clutch outer} or inner basket {clutch center}, then you can no longer get #3 boss {clutch center} basket, use is screwed!

So things to look for are:
1. #23's egg shape or ramp is just round without ramp, and this will send the lever to the grip with a thumb push.
2. #1 and #3 grooves are so deep, it's as if the plates are expanded, locked in their grooves, as if no spring tension.
3. All 6 bolts of #16 have backed out, pulled out of their threads in center basket #3... which I doubt.
4. Clutch cable could be broken and holding axle #23 fully extended to #'s9&10 can no longer be pressing those plates having the wave plate #14 pushed away from the plates and the friction just spin in the big baskets spinning with the engine, and the steels remain stationary with the back wheel... no movement.
5. Tear down and inspect if #23 has no egg shape, #'s1&3 baskets are deeply grooved, or #'s9&10 are burnt out, no joy.
Thank you for the reply. Yes I'm refering to part #20. I've taken some photos this morning and measured the free play/travel of this part. 9mm or 0.35 inches. It is as if the clutch cage was pulled apart and got stuck in this position. Surely the springs will not let this happen. I dont see the cam section on the lever shaft though.

·
Banned
420 Posts
Right. Again, not familiar with the model, so the diagram drawings were not showing both designs, thus the guess. So this is geared, not ramp style designed.

So with this, you more watch the arm of the shaft so as to lineup the throw from cable to lever, etc. That, or slide case on, remove the arm, dial the arm to the cable throw.

But you more want to be the flat-rate, which means to remove less parts to do the job. So you more rather time the arm to the cable and all that only pulls one throw and that arm is at that angle, etc.

Make sense?

Now once it's back together, back wheel off the ground. You are going to move the back wheel as you hand stab 1st gear. Next, you will pull the lever in and should show the gear pulling the pressure plate away from the plates. You need to envision this, or if the oil fill cap is over the the clutch outer, then look in there for movement.

Because now you are going to break the clutches if not have the back wheel show you the wheel can move with the clutch lever in, the bike in 1st gear, it spins with just a slight drag. Now you keep moving the wheel as you release the lever some.

No drag so as to stop the the back wheel, then pull the plates and check both; lift and load tangs that indent into both big clutch outer and center clutch inner basket tang channels. Something is hanging up.

Edit:
I can see the fork tangs to the fiber plates. Seems they look fine from here, but now I might question the wave plate #14. Notice how it looks like a cone shape. If removed, how much more cone wave could that be if it was static on its own sitting on a bench table?

Wave plate style needs to be flat for full release/lock. So the more wave moving to static, the more clutch wear. This is all generic chasing your variable, from clutch wear to cable tear... if I were only there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Svennie, thanks for your replies. I found the problem. Initially i didn't get any clutch pul on the cable so i adjusted it to the point where i had too much pull. I thought it would be designed to a point where this could not occur. Seems as if I pulled the front plate completely out of its location and it rotates just enough to get stuck in a disengaged state. Used a punch to gently rotate the front plate back into its grooves/splines.
Wood Bumper Gas Rectangle Auto part

1 - 6 of 6 Posts