Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm on the freeway the other day at about 80mph and 5k rpm in 6th when my bike suddenly cuts out for about a half of a second. I keep riding and about 2 min later it cuts out again, this time a little longer. I pulled the clutch in to see if it would idle, and it died. When i release the clutch to turn the motor it starts again just fine, so I get off an offramp where it dies again at a stop sign, never to run again. I Have never had it act up on me at all, this is completely out of the blue.

Im pretty experienced with bikes, and to me it seemed like a fuel issue, as it was so intermittent. The bike cranks fine, but wont even try to start. When I pulled the tank/airbox/seat I found fuel is getting to carbs, fuel pump is priming, all fuses are good, but no spark in any cylinder. No tach. trouble codes or problems with anything other than the bike wont start.

Put a brand new battery in, checked stator, sidestand switch, timing coil, all which are good. I checked the reg/rect. connector which these bikes are notorious for frying, and it doesnt appear to have been burnt. Tested the primaries on both coils, they check out.

How to I check the reg/rect? Is it possible?
Can I check the ICM (Ignitor)?
Does anyone have a spare ignitor / one for sale?
Any ideas????

Thanks guys

·
Banned
797 Posts
Sounds like an intermittaint problem, Get out the wire diagram and start touble shooting, look for a loose grounds, Check voltage to coils. Check all wiring to and from coils, ECM. Check your kick stand switch also.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks slapper... yeah I figure im gonna have to go thru the entire wiring diagram. What a pain. Kick stand switch is good.

It was intermittent when the problem started, but now its no longer even intermittent. I cant get the bike to even try to start. I checked voltage on the primary side of each coil, where the red (power) wire (i think?) connects to the coil and it reads voltage when cranking...

God I miss my bike!!!

·
Banned
797 Posts
It's good that it's no longer intermittent, that means the problem is still there and waiting to be found. Don't for get to check grounds, wiggle wires while testing might help to find an open wire.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update

So im about to go buy a new ICM today when I decide to give it one last shot.

Im cranking the bike and messing with that notorious reg/rect connecter... and suddenly I get a spark! :rock I cant keep it going for more than a min or so, but I guess I was wrong in saying that r/r wasnt the prob. Im gonna replace it and ill let everyone know..

:fork

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey man, I'm not even sure if you're on this board anymore but I'm having the EXACT same problem that you describe here and am wondering if you were ever able to get it resolved? I've been trying to locate the problem since March (it's July now) and I'm going to give the bike away for scrap on Monday if I can't get it solved by then because it's making me crazy. Were you ever able to get this bike running?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah it turns out one of the wires on the underside of my ignition switch was almost cut in half.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts