Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, new to the forum, hope it is ok to ask a question. I have a 2001 converting to track only bike. The wiring harness is a mess. Motor runs, but there are so many splices and poor connections, or bypassed connections, that I would like to start fresh with a new harness. But, I would really like a trimmed down race mode harness with only the bare bones to run the bike. I found a few threads on this, and looked at the wiring diagrams, but mine is so crappy, I would like to start with either a fresh one, or hopefully find a website that sells these harnesses. I tried to find it on my own, but I arrived here to ask for help.

I did find a great contact that trims down peoples harness for a small fee to exactly what I want, but he only does the service for the R6.

Any help is appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
23,824 Posts
a 2001 r1 harness should be pretty bare bones right out the box.

I would assume it would be the headlights, brake light and turn signals that you would only need to get rid of.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The headlight wiring assembly and everything in it minus the main lead that powers the speedo/tach. I have eliminated some of it already, (kickstand, exhaust servo, a few others), but I am left with a giant mess of wires, still. After some rerouting, I developed a dead short that blows the signal fuse and now I have no speedo. So, would really like to purchase a stripped down harness, or if there is a solid thread on how to modify mine. I am decent with wiring, but when I started down this path I learned quickly how the inputs to the CDI really can make or break how and if the bike runs at all, so I am a little gunshy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
2 Participants
Jack Ross
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing