Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2001 Yamaha R1 is having electrical issues at first I thought it was the battery so i took it to get charged bike was riding good for 2 days then again it wouldn’t start made a ticking sound so I replaced the battery with a new one I road it for 10 minutes went to the gas station when I tried to turn it on I would get now power at all I had to get it jump started later that day it wouldn’t start even with a jumpstart I recently replaced the stator and regulator rectifier put it back together no problems before I added oil I turned the ignition switch and I had power so I thought I was good I then turned It off added the oil but when I went to try to start it it was completely dead I couldn’t even get it work with a jumpstart

any ideas what it might be ? Thanks for yourtime

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have a 2004 with the same issues. Currently I'm thinking it's the starter relay, got an ebay one that started my bike consistently but I had to hold the starter button down for it to stay running so now I'm waiting on an OEM one..

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have no experience but have read (I think) that there is some Electrical connections in the front fairing, left side, that are exposed to weather and can corrode.
I have seen this plug on my bike but it looks like new as the rest of the bike does.
it cannot hurt to follow wires on your bike and everywhere there is a plug, disconnect it and check all of the little terminals for corrosion. Clean with DeOxit tuner cleaner if they are funky green (found at most guitar stores)

·
Mad Thou Rider
2,749 Posts
it cannot hurt to follow wires on your bike and everywhere there is a plug, disconnect it and check all of the little terminals for corrosion. Clean with DeOxit tuner cleaner if they are funky green (found at most guitar stores)
This is good advice.

OP, why did you replace the components you replaced? - did you perform any testing? or are you just guessing?
Start with the above, whip the fairings of, and one by one, undo every electrical connection you can find of the bike. inspect for any corrosion, burnout / shorted connections etc. get a tube id dielectric grease, and put a small dab into every connection as future preventive maintenance wile youre at it.

If this initial visual inspection does not provide answers, get a friend with a multi meter, and start testing the circuits on the bike.

No point replacing random stuff, hats just expensive and frustrating

·
Registered
Yamaha R1 2007 Blue
41 Posts
I had this issue with my 2007 R1, mine started sometimes, then eventually stopped, and couldn't bump it at all.

Ended up being starter motor failed

1 - 7 of 7 Posts