Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Kerry F*kin King!
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Im looking at pickin up an 02/03 and was wondering whether they burn oil between oil changes??

My 98 used loads, whereas my 04 didnt use a drop.

Any feedback??

Thanks,

N.

·
Cheating death in the "D"
21,068 Posts
Hey all,

Im looking at pickin up an 02/03 and was wondering whether they burn oil between oil changes??

My 98 used loads, whereas my 04 didnt use a drop.

Any feedback??

Thanks,

N.

my 02 doesn't burn any, I use either Motorex or Motul full synthetic, and she's smooth as butter. Although I am debating on trying out Amsoil as Motorex & Motul full syn pricing is getting rediculous :no

I also use a quick change oil drain system & reuseable SST filter, both highly recomended :sneaky

Attachments

·
I hate criminals
1,749 Posts
my 02 doesn't burn any, I use either Motorex or Motul full synthetic, and she's smooth as butter. Although I am debating on trying out Amsoil as Motorex & Motul full syn pricing is getting rediculous :no

I also use a quick change oil drain system & reuseable SST filter, both highly recomended :sneaky
How much do those things run? Do you wash out the filter somehow?

·
178 Posts
I wonder if it matters how the engine is broken in. I had an 03 from brand new, broken in by the book and it never burned a drop of oil.

I now have a second hand 03 and it uses about 1/3 quart between oil changes. Maybe the original owner didn't break it in by the book???

I have heard that these bikes will typically consume oil between changes.

I would like to know what the "norm" is myself.

·
Over doing it
702 Posts
I think the deciding factor is what day your engine rolled down the assembly line. Friday engines get a bit sloppy, especially those that finish up around quitting time. :)

I've had some oil burning problems on some of my bikes in the past but its totally random. My '95 FZR 1000 burned one quart every 1000 miles. I brought it back to the dealer and was told that was the high limit on whether or not the warranty would cover the repair. In other words they wouldn't fix it so I brought it to another dealer and told them it burned a quart every 900 miles. They fixed several valve guides that were installed improperly and leaking.

·
Squid
3,371 Posts
The 5-valve, Genesis series of engines have always had a reputation for using oil, ever since the '80s.

I have a 2005 R1 with the short-stroke motor that's never used oil in over 29,000 miles, and an '07 with ~11,000 miles, and neither has ever burned any oil.

I've never heard of any oil consumption issues with the short stroke motors.

·
Motorcyclist
114 Posts
The 5-valve, Genesis series of engines have always had a reputation for using oil, ever since the '80s.

I have a 2005 R1 with the short-stroke motor that's never used oil in over 29,000 miles, and an '07 with ~11,000 miles, and neither has ever burned any oil.

I've never heard of any oil consumption issues with the short stroke motors.
+1 most of the old 5 valve motors used about 1qt every 3000 miles. I worked at a dealership for 8 years and saw a lot of them. The break in IMO has little to do with it. Yamaha says 1qt every 1000 miles is normal but that seems a little over the top to me. On a side note, The CBRs and Ninjas never realy had a problem with using oil. The Kawasaki Vulcans did use a little though. My 2007 R1 does not use any that I have seen but I only have about 6k on it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.