Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· 988 Of 1000 !!
988 Posts
This is all they say on the Yamaha page:

The R1 has always been famous for scalpel-sharp handling, and for 2002 this wicked carver gets an even keener blade, thanks to an all-new Deltabox III frame. Constructed of aluminum and bathed in a Superbike-inspired black finish. So maybe its anodized

· Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes i've read the yamaha site and every other known site that has info on the new r1 but no one knows if its powder coated or anodized??? I know it may be anodized but it also may be powder coated...

· ...Is just so addicted to R1..
884 Posts
actually....

I'm nearly positive the frame isn't anodized, when you anodize with color you actually use a dye, and its not as strong so usually they clear powder coat over the anodization - it doesn't make sense for yammie to do that.

Actually, though, I don't think it's powder coated either - I think the frame is parkerized - its a finish very similar to powdercoating, but stronger - usually you see it on guns- it's very thick and usually not a perfect black, but more of a very dark grey. If it is parkerized, I can tell you i think it's better than powder coating, the finish is virtually invincible.

· 988 Of 1000 !!
988 Posts
I tried to e-mail Yamaha but couldn't find an address !!! I guess I'll try one of the sportbike magazines. I'll still be looking for ya though RCwhat !

· 988 Of 1000 !!
988 Posts
Ok I can live with that :yesnod

Anodized it is !! Unless of course that bet with RCwhat is with You hehe :lol

· Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ha, ha, ha to juttsR1. you could not have been more wrong.:iamwithst I just got off the phone with yami's coating and painting dept. and apparently the frame is PAINTED, yes painted, in high temp matte black. We were all wrong. If you don't believe me call 1-800-736-7980
later fawkers.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.