Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. Ive been searching around google for a answer to my problem but I can't seem to find an exact answer. When the bike is fully warmed up the idle will stick between 2k to 1.8k which seems really high. When I start the bike up it will usually idle at 1.4-1.5k which seems low since during warm up the bike should be idling higher correct? The bike has 19k miles on it and has a power commander and devil shotgun exhaust.

Im thinking it might be the map the power commander currently has stored on it. I tried lowering the idle via idle cable but it didn't help anything. Also what temperature is normal for this bike to be at fully warmed up? Is 220 degrees F correct? This is my first litre bike and I assume the engines get hotter compared to a 600cc.

Any input is appreciated.

·
Throttle Happy
1,403 Posts
220 degrees is when the fan comes on, I consider the bike good enough to begin riding when it doesn't say "low" anymore(like 103 degrees)...and yeah you should be at a higher idle at initial start up and it should lower once warmed up...I'm assuming you use the choke at start up? And when you fully close the choke is when the idle increases? Silly question but are you maybe working the choke backwards??

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
yield
17,851 Posts
There's carb/throttle slides and FI. Port piston style injection.

There is a idle screw adjustment at about 10 oclock of looking at the shift bell housing on the shifter side of the bike. Turn it an 8th of a turn youll be good

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry fellas forgot to mention I tried lowering the idle using the adjustment screw but it doesn't do anything wether I turn it counter clockwise or cw.

·
yield
17,851 Posts
Thats curious. Right raises, cc lowers. I believe its a cable. If you keep going cw does it raise the idle?

·
MMM Meaty!
2,116 Posts
The idle adjuster might be off/disconnected at the TBs.

In most cases if you can't adjust it down the cold start solenoid is stuck and needs to be cleaned and/or adjusted.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The idle adjuster might be off/disconnected at the TBs.

In most cases if you can't adjust it down the cold start solenoid is stuck and needs to be cleaned and/or adjusted.
Ill take the tank off tomorrow and give it a look around. Is the solenoid hard to get to?

·
MMM Meaty!
2,116 Posts
No, just lifting the tank is all you need.

·
MMM Meaty!
2,116 Posts
Left side, about mid tank, silver with two small water lines going into it. Has a screw adjuster, and part of it may or may not move with the throttle depending if it's stuck or adjusted right.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Do you know the actual name for the part? I like to follow what the guide suggests. Is it adjusted with the bike on? Happy New Year btw!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys my 2003 Yamaha r1 has a similar problem but can't figure out what is wrong. The bike had issues starting. I ended up replacing 4 fuel injectors, 4 coils, and the fuel pump and removed the power commander. The bike starts now but idles bad. Idle set to 1.3-1.5. When the bike is warm and ran for a bit, the bike turns off. When I'm stopped in neutral the needle will start jumping from 1.5 to below 1 and then turn off. The only way the needle won't jump or bike won't turn off is if I set the bike to idle at 2-2.5. I know that is too high. Any suggestions?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts