Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2002 R1 w/under 500 miles on it!

I've got a 2002 R1 motor with less than 500 miles on it sitting on my workbench - it needs a new home!

The motor comes with the harness, air box, ecu, instrument cluster, and header w/valve. I bought it from a friend who races R1's, and I planned on sticking it into my Baby Grand Race Car. I later discovered that the R1 would probably be 'taxed' trying to push a 1500lb load(me + the car), so I decided to buy a ZX1200 for the car application. The R1 was never installed into the car!

The friend I mentioned bought the 2002 R1 new and rode it for a week before he pulled the motor and installed his race motor in the new frame/chassis, and then converted the bike to track use only. The motor has been on a bench ever since and is in cherry & clean shape. Not a spec of road dirt or grease on this baby!

Not sure what it's worth, but I'll start by asking $1800, but will consider reasonable offers. If you live nearby (Northern Calif.) I may be able to meet you for pick-up. Otherwise, you pick it up! Cash ONLY!

I live in Granite Bay which is about 15 minutes east of Sacramento near Lake Folsom. E-Mail me at [email protected] if you're interested.

Doug Gale
www.trackmasters-racing.com

·
No EXUP!
676 Posts
damnit, wish you were closer...

·
Ghostrider Squadron
9,251 Posts
HideOut said:
$350 + ship
u wished. motor with that low of miles is worth pretty penny. especially with everything attached to it. his price is about right in ball park with all goodies on it. just bare motor with no electronics and such bring 1200$ or so

·
Beaver Driver
75 Posts
any scoring on the cylinder walls from the rings sitting in the same position for over three years? should probably need to be ball honed before putting the motor back into use! For that...the motor should not fetch a 'pretty penny'.

not trying to slag your motor but it doesn't sound that great of a deal to me....maybe that's just my $.02!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds like you are slamming the motor. Prematurely!

The motor has been hand rotated every few months, and it's been run on a bench before, and when I bought it. The guy who had the motor was very particular about his toys, and took the proper precautions to ensure the motor wouldn't have issues when not in use.

On another note... it's VERY doubtful that any motor will experience bore damage from just sitting. Unless the environment they are sitting in is moist. Occasional rotation with a little light oil is all that's needed to keep the bore healthy.

I've been building, swapping, re-building motors for bikes, boats, cars, you name it for 25 years, and don't agree with your statements. They're opinion based and should be treated a such.

It's a perfect motor and someone will recognize that here, on E-bay, or on the Sports Race Car forums.

My $0.02

Doug

·
Beaver Driver
75 Posts
I do live in a very moist environment here....and yes, bore dammage does exist around here. I see it regularly on planes and one some of the cars that are in the area.

I am glad to see that the proper precautions were taken to ensure the motor stay in great condition. Based on this, the motor is definitly worth a 'pretty penny'! Like I said, if those precautions were NOT taken, I would be weary...which is not the case and I along with many others should be very happy to own that motor!

Good luck with the sale....I've only been building/working on bikes, planes, boats, cars etc for 10 years....I guess my experience isn't worth much!

Pete

1 - 7 of 7 Posts