Compression: 19 clicks out
Tire Pressure: 32psi
Note: Raised Forks 15mm

Rear
Pre Load: 1 indent from minimum
Rebound: 15c clicks out
Compression: 17 clicks out
Tire Pressure: 33psi
Note: Replaced oil in the rear shock. I went from the stock 2.5 weight to 5 weight.
When we pulled the shock apart the stock oil looked like “Beer Foam”. The shock is much more consistent now.

Steering:
I tightened the steering stem. It loosened up quite a bit during break in. I also installed an Ohlins Steering Dampener. I run the clicker at 5 clicks out.

Handling
The bike is much more predictable and forgiving. Late braking and mid corner braking does not upset the bike as it did before. The rear wheel is planted solidly when exiting turns and allows for more power to be applied earlier with out as much loss of traction. Powered drifts are easily controlled without that scary feeling. I found that the box stock settings are more for 2 up ridding. The rear was way too rigid and the front was too soft.
I really enjoy riding the bike a lot more now and it inspires me to push the limits with confidence.

I hope this helps anyone who is looking for a base line to start with. Also remember every one has preferences and these settings meet mine.

R1-Rowland

By the way I ride quite aggressively and push my tires to their absolute limit. I have been ridding over 23 years.
:thumbup

· R1's revenge
62 Posts
sorry to be a dumbass.....
but i have a few questions....

raised forks?..dropped the clamps 15mm? eh?

3 clicks out from stick? max? wha?

2 indent in from minium (from the least amount of pre load?)

and where can i get 5 weight oil?
(how many cc's and i don't have a manual, soo whats involded in changing the oil? do i have to remove the shock?)

and thank you very much for the info.

· The cops know me by name
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
O2R1 said:
sorry to be a dumbass.....
but i have a few questions....

raised forks?..dropped the clamps 15mm? eh?

3 clicks out from stick? max? wha?

2 indent in from minium (from the least amount of pre load?)

and where can i get 5 weight oil?
(how many cc's and i don't have a manual, soo whats involded in changing the oil? do i have to remove the shock?)

and thank you very much for the info.

Ok R102,

Raised forks means that I raised them in the triple clamps. This actually lowers the front end of the bike and increases fork angle.

3 Clicks out means that you screw the adjustment screw all the way in and count the clicks as you turn it counter clock wise to the desired setting.

2nd indent is counted from the minimum preload adjustment.

5 Weight fork oil can be purchased from most bike shops. But as far as tearing your shock down I, recomend that you take it to some one you has experience with this type of shock. Yamaha does not recomend rebuilding the shock and gives no desciption on how to do it. They say to replace the shock if their is a problem, but if you replace it, you will have another shock that is full of air. The quality of the shock cartridge is really good but when they are filled at the factory I assume that the assembley line does not check for air. Most people who are looking for really good shock consistentecy purchase an aftermarket shock, but if you have the means a basic oil change will fix you right up.

:thumbup :thumbup

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.