Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Vrroom
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I bought a 2002 R1 for use as a track bike in the near future. The bike had been wrecked @ the gap previously. I've searched, and I even have the service manual, but I'm not seeing the answer to my question.

From an older post on here, I've determined that the cable/connector that plugs into the back of the cluster is on the left side of the bike. I see what looks like a main wiring harness, but I'm not seeing anything that looks like it fits the tach. The bike was purchased without a tach, and I bought one on ebay a week ago. I assumed it would be an easy swap.

So, my question is:
Looking at the pics I attached, can someone point me to the connector/cable I need to attached to the back of the tach cluster? Nothing I'm seeing on the bike matches up with the male side of the cluster. If I look at the part schematics online, nothing I've seen addresses the cable harness.

Thanks.

Attachments

· I eat my R1
91 Posts
Should be an easy find since it's a 16 pin connector. I'd pull the tank and start searching.

Mark
Nothing to do with the tank :1bluewinky:

View attachment 713761 it's a multi-plug harness that controls the speed cluster and the headlights it's located where it plugs in underneath the clutch handlebar panel in front of the tank on the left side

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
There you go:tocoo:

Tach plug is a different thing to what you plugging in to harness later on (to the one next to fuse box) theres no male or female in this case :)
Tach plug and wiring should come with main headlight wiring,its a small kinda square,black plug with rubber surround at the end of wiring,once you get clocks and main headlight wiring you gonna match it-cant be missed :)

Also make sure you gonna get 5WP headlight wiring-none other works with 5PW harness-eventhought that some other years match the connectors-believe me I been there ;D

· Vrroom
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone. Really appreciated.
My problem is, the bike already had track fairings on it and was in the process of being converted when I bought it. I don't see any sign of the headlight wiring. I'll have to go through the boxes of spare parts I got and make sure it's not in there (I don't remember seeing it).
I'll also take a look online and see if I can identify the harness myself. The service manual doesn't have anything about these harnesses that I can remember.

· I eat my R1
91 Posts
I'll also take a look online and see if I can identify the harness myself.

Ive a spare one somewhere in my bits,still with the tag and part number,will take a picture tomorrow and post so you know what youre looking for.
Im pretty sure theres lots out on ebay however some people describing parts wrongly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.