Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have about 150 miles on my 2002 r1 and as i was playing around with my bike.... i noticed that at idle when in neutral, when i pull in the clutch, the tranny or engine noise becomes noticably softer. When i let the clutch out the noise whether it be from the tranny or engine becomes louder...i never noticed this from my 97 gixxer6 i owned so i'm kind of worried. is this normal?

btw my bike was warmed up when i noticed this.

· 988 Of 1000 !!
988 Posts
I wouldnt worry about it. Mine has also done it from brand new. No problems here yet :crash

· Its time to catch up GIXXER
1,188 Posts
Noises

:cool: I think that is normal for the time being because the factory supply mineral Motor Oil for the "run in" period. Once you have going through the "run in" period you change to semi- synthetic oil for the next 200-300 miles , then the next service change to fully synthetic motor oil. The sound you heard is from clutch area. This is what happen to my XJR1200 brand new it makes the sound you have describe. After "run in" the engine will sound smoother. Not like GSX R series this sound will not become smoother. Yamaha has this design to make engine smoother compare to other bike manufacturer. Because i've compare suzuki bandit 1200 and my XJR1200. Mine is much smoother.:thumbup

· Nothin' sexier than an R1
513 Posts
ITs just clutch noise. Its normal, all of my old honda do it also, the reason why it gets quieter is casue you are pulling in the clutch lever pressing the basket together.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.