Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
My R1 blows me
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently traded up from a 99 R1 to a 2002 injected model and I am having a hard job keeping wheelies up as is my friend who has just gone from a k2 gixer to a 2002 R1 we both used to wheelie our old bikes till the cows came home but these new injected ones are odd, has anyone else had similar problems

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
If you are having problems keeping the front wheel down, yes, I do have the same problem ;)
Seriously: the 99 bites harder at 4000rpm than the 02 does. Yamaha did soft-wash the power delivery to make it more controlable for "Joe Average" driving it ;), reducing its tendency to lift the front once you hit 4000.
However mine still lifts the front at 4000rpm without any interference from my side. Maybe the exup is defective (I had this one time, caused a loss of lots of midrange power).

·
My R1 blows me
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No no no no my friends you read me wrong I"m not having problems keeping the front down, I"m having problems keeping it UP I used to be able to wheelie my 99 for miles but I am having trouble with my 02, I have only had it 4 days mind you and been out on it 2 or 3 times.
Vahakn what is a slide stopper kit ??

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
R1 MUNKEY said:
No no no no my friends you read me wrong I"m not having problems keeping the front down, I"m having problems keeping it UP I used to be able to wheelie my 99 for miles but I am having trouble with my 02, I have only had it 4 days mind you and been out on it 2 or 3 times.
Vahakn what is a slide stopper kit ??
the suction piston type EFI system that was introduced on the 02/03 R1 is the reason y the power delivery of the brutal engine is tamed by making the fuel delivery very similar to carbs(they too have slides, but different types). the slides operate on air flow and vaccum. it's not like the carbed ones. the response of the engine on the throttle is very different on the EFI cuz of that soft power delivery system. i used to lift in first without a clutch, shift though 4 with no problem. but since i got the 03, i have been having difficulty doing the EXACT same thing BUT, i still end up lifting the front by bouncing. have a look at http://www.gravesport.com/fuelsys_yamahaR1.html and go down to the slide stop kit.

this is the solution to get ur baby to respond better. but it's best if u invest on a PC3 to help u out even more.

Attachments

·
My R1 blows me
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
if I was to set up the bike with the slide stops and a pc3 would I have to set it up on a rolling road/dyno

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
R1 MUNKEY said:
if I was to set up the bike with the slide stops and a pc3 would I have to set it up on a rolling road/dyno
No not neccesarilly. all u have to do is setup the PC3, and select the most appropriate map that comes with the Slide stop kit. Stock or slip-on or Full. contact Graves Motorsports and they will be glad to help and provide a map u need. they are one of the Forum Sponsors u know :yesnod

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Hm, I am astonished.
I don't have any problem taking the (stock) 02 R1 on the back wheel and keeping it there as long as I want (or the straight lasts ;) ).
What's the effect of these slide stops? More immediate trottle response?

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Juerg said:
Hm, I am astonished.
I don't have any problem taking the (stock) 02 R1 on the back wheel and keeping it there as long as I want (or the straight lasts ;) ).
What's the effect of these slide stops? More immediate trottle response?

That is correct. the real range where the slide stop will be effective most is, half to full throttle openings from 2,500 to 5000 revs. that's where the front lifts on most pre2002 models in first, without the use of the clutch. that is y the 02/03 have a very smooth thrust instead of a brutal front lift. Be warned that the slide stop can lead to very serious highsides if u underestimate the 02/03 engine. cough..past experiences...cough..cough:blush.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Actually there is a test routine for that. In my case the problem was indicated also by the RPM-meter (they have some fault monitoring through this).
I had to exchange valve and servo motor.

What you can and from time to time should do is test the proper setting of the valve (cables are adjustable), this makes a big difference in the engines power delivery! (check out the instructions/mechanics book).
It was easy to notice that something was wrong: In first gear at 4000rpm the front has to jump into your face or something is not ok ;)

·
I Bleed Blue
199 Posts
I'm thinking you were just used to the chasis and riding position of your 99. The 02 is a totaly different generation of R1.
I have an 01 and wheelie the hell out of it. But when I ride my buddies 02 it feels way different. Feels like I lean more forward on the 02
wheelie video link below if you got some time to kill

www.x-pozd.com/mr.woodman/HighSpeedWheelies.wmv

·
My R1 blows me
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Problem sorted I think the wheelie problem was just down to the fact that I had only ridden the 02 model once on the day that I had bought it. I have just returned from a day out riding with a buddy of mine who has also just bought an 02 and was having the same problem, I left my house and as soon as I got onto the first straight I popped the cluch in 2nd at about 50 and wah hey did a minger and its been like that all day I love my new bike I made some cool wheelies popping the cluch in 3rd at 100 mph my old bike would never have done that , I can"t wait to get back out on it

·
4 cyl's always better than 2
5 Posts
popped the clutch in 3rd and got her standing, huh?

Im not saying it cant be done... it certainly cant be done on a stock ride. :eek:
Anyway, my 03 R1 actually performs much better wheelies after I took off the stock exhaust. due to the better response and even throttle control is much improved (well, that's the way I feel about it).
But, I cant wait to get a PC cause Im sick of hearing about gixxer riders taking off in 2nd gear without the clutch (I did it myself on the gixxer, which proves how f***in easy that is).
feels different, fact is us 03 R1 riders just lack a few ponies to do the same.

8,586 Posts
freakyty said:
also the 02/03 R1 in my opinion have a higer balance point that the early models. so try a higher balance point
As if the balance point wasn't high already, they made them higher....:no

What was your point of reference when performing sit downs in 2nd gear? Mine was once I couldn't see the pavement through the nose of the windscreen.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts