Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Banned
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reoccurring issue I picked up my 03 just over a year ago and using my battery from my r6 (holding a good 12.6v charge) I replaced wire harness, the flywheel and the voltage regulator and I thought I had it fixed. But bike was dead next morning, got another China regulator same again!

then found a neighborhood garage guy who knew something more than myself.

he replaced the regulator with a OEM Yamaha for like $180 and it worked good till I parked it over the winter

now I just got another cheap one & with my battery at 12.4v I started it and it was showing up to high 13v 14v charging till I hammered it and the volts started going down, down to 8+v馃槩 made it home hammered it about a 1/4 mile with low 8v and it did okay no cutting out into 120+ mph parked it and about an hour later the volts were 12.0 just sitting.

I never needed to replace regulators each year on any past bikes, if ever!

Any one with any good ideas what my problem is, along with where I might get a reasonable price on a decent regulator?

I NEED TO BE RIDING, NOT WRENCHING my CYCLE 馃敎馃檹馃檹馃檹馃檹馃檹 please help

Registered
After the OEM Yamaha regulator was installed, and was working fine till the bike sat for the winter (do not know how cold/extreme it got) and the battery went dead, does that mean the regulator is bad???

Was the battery on a tender? Was the battery charged up, removed from the bike and brought into the house? Maybe the battery is at fault and needs replacing?
I am not an electrical expert but I wouldn鈥檛 think a regulator goes bad from sitting over winter.

Banned
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After the OEM Yamaha regulator was installed, and was working fine till the bike sat for the winter (do not know how cold/extreme it got) and the battery went dead, does that mean the regulator is bad???

Was the battery on a tender? Was the battery charged up, removed from the bike and brought into the house? Maybe the battery is at fault and needs replacing?
I am not an electrical expert but I wouldn鈥檛 think a regulator goes bad from sitting over winter.
The battery would be a welcome and very possible culprit

it鈥檚 surly done a fair share of working hard for me already but I kind of figured if it keeps on taking a charge and acting normal prior to performing then I easily think it鈥檚 something else.

but buying a new battery is easy for me to do and try and hope the best

it would be nice to know where I could have it load tested to just know for sure

it sucks not having the comfort of just taking off on a thousand mile journey or more

or even one that鈥檚 5 miles

thanks it鈥檚 the down time that gets me down!

Registered
Take your battery out and go to an auto parts store. They usually have a load tester. Also independent battery stores have them

Banned
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Take your battery out and go to an auto parts store. They usually have a load tester. Also independent battery stores have them
I鈥檝e got one but I figured that the difference between a cycle battery cca cold cranking amps and and automobile

the cycle hardly has 200 or 300
Where a auto that would be toast not enough

but I can charge it and then put the load tester to it and see what happens

Registered
I just had my stator, regulator, rectifier replaced for my 02-03 with Rick's parts from a reputable motorcycle shop. Always replace the regulator and rectifier at the same time as each other, also the stators are known to go bad on these models over time. Make sure your battery gets taken out of your bike in the off season. Make sure your battery is good before you put it back in, if not, replace it. Hope this helps! Good luck!

My R1 eats chip & seal.
Reoccurring issue I picked up my 03 just over a year ago and using my battery from my r6 (holding a good 12.6v charge) I replaced wire harness, the flywheel and the voltage regulator and I thought I had it fixed. But bike was dead next morning, got another China regulator same again!

then found a neighborhood garage guy who knew something more than myself.

he replaced the regulator with a OEM Yamaha for like $180 and it worked good till I parked it over the winter

now I just got another cheap one & with my battery at 12.4v I started it and it was showing up to high 13v 14v charging till I hammered it and the volts started going down, down to 8+v馃槩 made it home hammered it about a 1/4 mile with low 8v and it did okay no cutting out into 120+ mph parked it and about an hour later the volts were 12.0 just sitting.

I never needed to replace regulators each year on any past bikes, if ever!

Any one with any good ideas what my problem is, along with where I might get a reasonable price on a decent regulator?

I NEED TO BE RIDING, NOT WRENCHING my CYCLE 馃敎馃檹馃檹馃檹馃檹馃檹 please help
Linking a thread I responded to about my results on same issue. My response was #13 (currently end of the thread):

1 - 7 of 7 Posts