Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2003 R1
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help!!!!! My wife thought it would be ok to surprise me by adjusting my chain and taking my bike to fill it up well she tighten the chain to tight then just hammered it all through 1st and now there is a knocking and grinding sound coming from right behind the front sprocket and it grinded knocked hard in every gear but 4th and I've lost next to no power so I readjusted the chain and clutch cable and once done the knocking sound turned into a light tap just louder then a lifter tap and the gears didn't grind no we're near as bad but I cant go from 3th to 4th I have to release the clutch in between then it will allow me to shift to 4th(which is still doing ok)....Sorry it's so long but please can someone help me save my baby

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hate to be the bearer of bad news but sounds like the bearings on the output shaft are done, if you don’t get onto it it will do a fair bit of damage to the gearbox, your 4th gear issue is most likely due to the end float created by the bearing failure. 10 out of 10 for your wife trying to help, and giving it a go, the bearings were probably close to cooked and this just put them over the edge.

·
Horsepower whisperer
1,437 Posts
Murder her... 😉

·
amazed....
2006 Yamaha R1 LE #244
547 Posts
Output shaft bearing is smoked. You need to fix it ASAP. If you cont to ride you will be replacing the ENTIRE gear box...

·
Registered
2003 R1
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I figured out the problem my gears were turned into bite size pieces but thankfully after paying the divorce attorney I still had enough to repair my baby lol

·
Registered
112 Posts
I hope you used the photos as primary evidence for negotiating a decent settlement with the ex. All jokes aside, that carnage wasn’t caused entirely by the overly tight chain.

·
Registered
2003 R1
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well that's the only thing i can think of and from what she said after she hammered it she shifted into second mind you it was getting to the point where it needed changed but I knew if I took it easy it had enough to get to the off season but anyhow she said after hitting second it popped and didn't sound right after and fyi she bought the whole transmission kit gears shafts and everything just about 1000 so I guess I can forgive it

1 - 10 of 10 Posts