Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently purchased a 2003 R1 that wouldn’t start. After doing some diagnostics I found out the starter was bad. I was able to get the bike running by push starting it in 2nd gear. As soon as the bike fired up I could hear a loud knocking coming from the top of the engine. The knocking got louder every time I hit the throttle. I’m no expert when it comes to engines, but I can assume the engine needs a rebuild. Is anyone familiar with R1 engines that can tell me what is most likely the reason it’s knocking? The bike has 31k miles
Video link YouTube:

·
Registered
'08 r1
2,822 Posts
Get into the top and have a look at the cams and buckets. Also have a peak at the cam guides and the timing. To me that sounds like a timing issue and piston/valve contact. May be a stuck valve or lifter. Definitely shut it down until you have a good diagnosis.

It doesn't sound like rod bearings to me from here.

Had to work on a busa a guy pulled out of a barn and started. 2 of the buckets stuck and the valves kissed the piston and bent. That was not exactly a good one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok guess i have some work to do then. I’ll post some pics once I get the engine apart. Any idea how much a shop would charge me to fix the bike vs trying to repair it myself? If it’s only a timing issue would it be a lot for a shop to correct the timing?

·
Registered
'08 r1
2,822 Posts
~500.00? To verify the timing? More depending upon incidentals?

That's a lot of variables for me to predict from my place over here.

If they remove the head, expect a bill for no less than 1,200. If some of the valves come out, the price goes up.

If they get into the bottom end? God knows what a shop will charge.

If you take it to a shop, expect to pay real, folding, paper money. It's worth every penny if the shop is good.

It's cheaper to source another motor than it is to rebuild one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.