Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Those of you that have ridden both what do you think? The 1098/1198 has been on my very short list of dream bikes for a long time but I've never actually been able to ride one. I've done a lot of reading on them though and they seem like amazing bikes, but then again so is my R1. Where I live it's more or less impossible to test ride bikes without buying one first. I never rode an R1 until I showed up with cash to look at mine, I just did a lot of research.

A guy I chatted with online has a 1098 with similar mileage to my R1, and he used to have an R1 and misses it. He says the 1098 is better for track riding, but he only commutes to work now and it's too uncomfortable for him so he wants an R1 again. He offered to trade me if I would throw in some cash, but I said I really couldn't add any cash right now, and he's still asking questions like he really wants to trade.

Just on the off chance he decides to do a straight trade, or the R1 + very little cash should I take it? From those of you who have ridden the 1098/1198 I'd love to hear your opinions. Thanks! :boobies:boobies:boobies

· R1, "One Hell of an Addiction"
14,034 Posts
What is the mileage and overall condition of your R1 and the Duc. Also, what year is the Duc.

Even if both were similar to my questions above I'd probably keep the R1 being it's my favorite sport bike of all time. On pure value it would be a stupid decision on my part though.

· Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What is the mileage and overall condition of your R1 and the Duc. Also, what year is the Duc.

Even if both were similar to my questions above I'd probably keep the R1 being it's my favorite sport bike of all time. On pure value it would be a stupid decision on my part though.
2005 R1 with about 12-13K miles on odometer, probably 8-10K real miles "speedometer says 105mph at normal interstate speed".. My R1 is in pretty great condition. Paint has a few worn places, My tail is plastic welded together where it can't be removed, but besides that no issues.

Ducati is a 2007 with 11K miles, same full termignoni exhaust as my R1.

I love my R1, it fits my body and riding style extremely well, I don't know if I would trade even if offered a straight trade, but I would certainly consider it. I've lusted after the 1098/1198 for a long time.

· Is this thing ON???
290 Posts
The Duc is a sexy beast... but it is my understanding that the maintenance & upkeep are much more expensive than an R1... Also less comfortable seating position... But the Duc is "worth more" $$$... not to mention all the new Duc/Dainese gear ($$$$$$$) they require you to wear once you purchase one!!

· Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Duc is a sexy beast... but it is my understanding that the maintenance & upkeep are much more expensive than an R1... Also less comfortable seating position... But the Duc is "worth more" $$$... not to mention all the new Duc/Dainese gear ($$$$$$$) they require you to wear once you purchase one!!
I heard the big dealership in Lexington,KY does Ducati maintenance at a reasonable price. Still, my R1 is really reliable and I haven't even had it very long at all. We'll see. If he offers an even trade, or low cash + R1 I may meet him and test-ride it. It's hard to imagine a bike better than my R1 though.

· 14k+ posts and not one helpful
14,358 Posts
Ducati extreme maintenance is a thing of the past. I wouldn't worry about the maintenance stuff. The major service intervals on Ducati is near what it would be with a modern bike anyways.

· Plastic surgery pending
6,072 Posts
I don't necessarily believe that platform is better on the track. I'm not overly familiar with your gen of R1, though. I do know that when compared to other bikes of equal generations, the Superbike usually lapped slower. I don't know if it was just harder to manage power-wise (torque/gearing) or the chassis/handling did it. The 1098R is a different story (and of course World SBK trim version could do the deed). I will say I sometimes fantasize about owning an 1198 because I always did like its looks and the amount of torque made it a clown bike - power wheelies everywhere. Sometimes I like stupid shit.

· Don't put doubts in your mind
3,027 Posts
Take a spin on it and see how you feel. Sleep on it and only then make a decision.

· Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would be all over that. Plus even if you don't like it just sell it and get another r1. That bike is worth more $$$
Take a spin on it and see how you feel. Sleep on it and only then make a decision.
He may not go lower, we'll just have to wait and see. The offer he made me was very fair but I just don't have the cash right now to spend on something I don't need. Even after I said that though he kept asking about my bike, so who knows what he'll do. If he has trouble selling it he may come back with a deal I can't refuse. I know there was one 1098 close to me that was in great condition that took months to sell.

· Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The 1198 is one of the sexiest bikes ever produced, buuuuut so is the 5VY.

I'm a big fan of the white. I've thought about painting my R1 this color actually. When I bought it I was dead-set on painting it white, wasn't a fan of the black at all but it's REALLY grown on me.

All my friends say it's the batmobile lol

[/URL][/IMG]

· me r1 to eats P***y
3,527 Posts
i owned an 06 r1 and have ridden a friends 1098 annd owned a few ducati's

depends on your mechanical aptitude and how much you like to play with your bike. A ducati is not a bike to just ride put gas in and change the oil.

at 15000 miles the ducati will NEED timing belts. Not something you want to skip as a failure is catastophic. They are not hard to work on but always seem to need an adjustment here or there.

Near stock they are decent bikes but modding them is what really brings them to life and they are not cheap to mod. There is every piece of bike jewelry available for them you can imagine.

If you are someone that loves to polish, look at, tinker with your bike get the ducati, you wont be sorry. They are amazing in what they do

if your someone that just wants to ride stay with the r1

the performance diff between them is not that great with the 1098, the 1198 has a deff bump over the r1

· Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I like your garage lol
I took that picture while I was converting my carport with 2 walls into a real garage. Wifey wasn't too happy :p My garage is enclosed now, and I'll finish the drywall, painting, and vinyl siding this summer when I have more time. I may try to finish mudding the ceiling before that on the weekend or something if I have time. It's a motorcycle garage, not a car garage. A normal car won't fit so I don't know what this is going to do to the re-sell value of my house >.<;

· Registered
2,185 Posts
I'm new to the Duc world with my 1098 Tricolore and i know its biased but i cant stop staring, I still love my xplane but the duc is on a whole other level. Ive only put 200kms on her so I cant comment on comfort but so far i'm in love. The single sided swingarm has always been my favorite mod. The bike does vibrate like a mofo and shes a noisy bitch with the dry clutch exposed so be prepared for that.

My xplane is way more refined and faster but for me the power in the duc is more than i can handle. Before you go and trade you need to ask for service records because at 15,000 miles you should have a bunch of cam belts/fuel filter changes(every 2 years/20,000km) and you should be on the second valve job(every 7500 miles). If the cam belts havent been replaced religiously you should be ok because from what i read if they go your motor goes so if the motor runs youre good. Cam belts are cheap but the valve jobs are pricy($1200 for me), make sure you see invoices with an actual valve job and not a valve inspection. If he has no proof of work or the dealers have no proof of this work its time to run from her.

The 1098 is not a bike you can ride with just oil changes so if you dont want to pay for a little extra maintenance than id stay away. The R1 is a very nice low maintenance ride but the Duc is a supermodel on wheels and will get the attention(yes im an attention whore lol)

I can 99% promise you wont regret the trade if shes a clean bike

Attachments

· Premium Member
239 Posts
I've owned both bikes.. They are completely different animals. The Ducati does not like going slow and your riding style/ technique will have to vary compared to the R1, at least in my experience. The riding position on the Ducati more comfortable to me. Maintenance on the Ducati is expensive (compared to other bikes) and the maintenance schedule is every 7500 miles. I love my Ducati and have enjoyed every 54,000 miles I've put on her... Put 7000 on my R1 on sold her....

· Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm new to the Duc world with my 1098 Tricolore and i know its biased but i cant stop staring, I still love my xplane but the duc is on a whole other level. Ive only put 200kms on her so I cant comment on comfort but so far i'm in love. The single sided swingarm has always been my favorite mod. The bike does vibrate like a mofo and shes a noisy bitch with the dry clutch exposed so be prepared for that.

My xplane is way more refined and faster but for me the power in the duc is more than i can handle. Before you go and trade you need to ask for service records because at 15,000 miles you should have a bunch of cam belts/fuel filter changes(every 2 years/20,000km) and you should be on the second valve job(every 7500 miles). If the cam belts havent been replaced religiously you should be ok because from what i read if they go your motor goes so if the motor runs youre good. Cam belts are cheap but the valve jobs are pricy($1200 for me), make sure you see invoices with an actual valve job and not a valve inspection. If he has no proof of work or the dealers have no proof of this work its time to run from her.

The 1098 is not a bike you can ride with just oil changes so if you dont want to pay for a little extra maintenance than id stay away. The R1 is a very nice low maintenance ride but the Duc is a supermodel on wheels and will get the attention(yes im an attention whore lol)

I can 99% promise you wont regret the trade if shes a clean bike
I've owned both bikes.. They are completely different animals. The Ducati does not like going slow and your riding style/ technique will have to vary compared to the R1, at least in my experience. The riding position on the Ducati more comfortable to me. Maintenance on the Ducati is expensive (compared to other bikes) and the maintenance schedule is every 7500 miles. I love my Ducati and have enjoyed every 54,000 miles I've put on her... Put 7000 on my R1 on sold her....
Thanks guys. If this guy never contacts me back I may try to buy one in a few years. It sounds like a fantastic bike. He still has his for sale, but he hasn't sent me any messages in a long time.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.