Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
and also I did not mention it but I did add a couple of spotlights pulling 4 amps each to the test battery for a load. I wish I could test the amperage pull on the bike but my dc ampmeter has to be inline for testing and of course once I disconnect battery the bike shuts off. I think tomorrow i will use the wires I made up . I will connect neg to battery and then my positive wire to one meter lead and the other meter lead to pos on battery. this will put my meter inline for amp testing for rectifier output

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
used my ampmeter and read less than 1/2 amp rectifier output at idle and barely over 1 amp @4000rpms. ordering a new stator. I wont even try to return the one I purchased since I got it in novemeber and waited till now to install.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
problem solved. received my new stator and while installing I noticed one of the wires that loops from one coil to the next is about to get caught under bolt head. looked over at the one I just removed and that wire was crushed where I tightened the bolt on it. apparently I ohmed my coils wire to wire while testing but not wire to ground. I was able to move wire out of way on the newest coil and now getting 13.9 volts idiling. I turned something simple into something hard. oh well

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
There is a flow chart of steps to take to test each part of the charging system and diagnose exactly what's the problem way easier then you made this out to be and none of it involves swapping batteries and guessing. Just my opinions but you should stop taking the long/hard way. Electrosport did a nice one if your familiar with google.

·
Registered
1 Posts
wow. I came up with another test. I had an old battery. it read 11.4 volts. I unplugged the 2 wire connector from rectifier. hooked up my 2 wires I had made with spade connectors and alligator clips to that old battery. now I have a weak battery hooked to my charging system. I am still running the bike off its own battery. this means the power from stator and rectifier now going to old battery and not connected to bike wiring at all. I start bike and I am sending 13.2 volts to the old battery. rev engine and I get over 14 volts.
So did you resolve the issue? I am having the exact same problem. everything has checked out voltage from rectifier is 14.5 volts but not at battery

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
So did you resolve the issue? I am having the exact same problem. everything has checked out voltage from rectifier is 14.5 volts but not at battery
He had a problem with his stator after going round and round with a few guesses, as many people are prone to do with electrical issues. This oftentimes makes it seem more difficult than it actually is.
Start a new thread with more details to get the best chance at getting help. Read thru this thread to get some ideas on what to check and how to check. Some good advice in here.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have a 04 yzf-r1. a couple of years ago the flywheel generator flew apart as it was original. replaced it with the new style. noticed some damage to the stator but not too bad I thought. it worked fine. fast forward to now and it is not charging. without checking anything I knew the stator was the most likely culprit. I have installed a new one and still not charging. battery @12.8 volts before starting and only 11.5 running with no change with acceleration. I unplugged connection on rectifier that goes to battery. measured voltage across plug terminals and it was 12.8 same as battery so wiring is ok. started bike and measured 14.8-15.1 volts out of rectifier at idle while unplugged
why don't I have 14.8volts at battery after I start it? could it be the regulator in the rectifier is thinking the battery voltage is too high and reducing the output?
Battery has been checked ? What else could it be if you have 14 v out of rectifier

21 - 30 of 30 Posts