Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I ordered the titanium slip-ons without the Y-Connecting tube. All that Y-connecting tube does is eliminate the CAT which you can do by yourself in a half hour. I am just going to bang the CAT out myself and save the money. I ordered it from www.tobefast.com. Those guys are awesome to deal with!!! It is $899.99 which is about $150 under MSRP. Can't wait to get it on the bike!!!

·
01' to 03' to 04'
62 Posts
Hows the installation? Was it easy? Do you have to remove anything? Getting mines today and was hoping for some guidance. Thanks

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Install was pretty simple and straight forward. I removed the Y pipe and banged out my catalytic converter and that took the most time. Just make sure you take out all the pop rivets holding your tail fairing on. There are a few of them. But it really should only take about a half hour to 45 minutes if all goes smoothly.

·
01' to 03' to 04'
62 Posts
Did you have to remove the tail? Did you install a pc3usb? If so, which map did you use? I just picked up my akra slips and pc3 from fedex....I'm gonna install them in a couple of hours. Is it loud? How does it run without the cat? Thanks

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
shmalhit said:
Did you have to remove the tail? Did you install a pc3usb? If so, which map did you use? I just picked up my akra slips and pc3 from fedex....I'm gonna install them in a couple of hours. Is it loud? How does it run without the cat? Thanks
Yes you have to remove the tail in order to get the muffler clamps in place. Yes I installed a PC3USB and I used the Graves map. It is much throatier than stock but not loud. I think it is perfect. Runs awesome without the cat. Runs a little cooler which is what I was hoping it would do. Good luck and feel free if you have any more questions. Did you get the titanium or carbon fiber?

·
01' to 03' to 04'
62 Posts
ok, finally got'em on. Took me about 1 hour and a half...the pc3 was the frustrating part having to lift my full tank of gas! Did'nt gut the cat though...seems fine to me.....good throaty sound and way more responsive.

Attachments

·
01' to 03' to 04'
62 Posts
Now I'm just waiting for the amber dancer kit that I ordered 2 weeks ago....Sam said I should get it on thurs....then I can trash the stock one.....I think I better give it a bath too.:riding

Attachments

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
shmalhit said:
ok, finally got'em on. Took me about 1 hour and a half...the pc3 was the frustrating part having to lift my full tank of gas! Did'nt gut the cat though...seems fine to me.....good throaty sound and way more responsive.
Looks awesome!!! Lets see some pics in the daylight.

I havent noticed any loss of low end torque since removing the cat. But after the pipes and PC3 I def noticed a smoother power curve.

Yeah, that PC3 install was kind of a pain if you were doing it by yourself and had no one to hold the tank up for you. My tank was full also but I just cut a 2x4 and propped the tank up. It worked but didnt leave much room to get in and out of there.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts