Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to ask and see if anyone has any experience with chinese tank trim for an 04 R1. I just bought some OEM tank trim I was lucky to find as a replacement for the missing left one and within a week they cracked and are now unusable. I might be able to glue it but I'm not sure how that would hold up. My guess is that due to the age of the plastic it's become brittle. Anyone used any chinese fairing trim? Would you recommend it? Or alternatively have any spare ones laying around?.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well nevermind on repairing this one. Just snapped in half picking it up

·
RANDOM VICTIM BASTARD S.O.B.
2,776 Posts
I have a couple sets of those, OEM and chinesium. No need for any of them, shoot me a PM and I will give you a great price.

Reactions: 1202067

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm new. Don't know how to pm, but it isn't something I could do this week. Just super disappointed because I just bought this one and it's crinklier than bubble wrap.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I,ve bought only a few Chinese parts for vehicles, and even the ones I figured would never have a chance to break. Broke. To get quality you'll have to pay extra for OEM or from reputable manufacturer. Just the name of the game, gotta pay to play.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I,ve bought only a few Chinese parts for vehicles, and even the ones I figured would never have a chance to break. Broke. To get quality you'll have to pay extra for OEM or from reputable manufacturer. Just the name of the game, gotta pay to play.
I mean I understand that, it's just that all of the OEM parts are almost 20 years old at this point. Don't wanna buy another "new" set and get another pair that's as brittle as an ice cream cone. It's. Why I asked whether anyone has used the Chinese trim pieces because at least they are new production.

·
Nevermore
1,140 Posts
Replace with a carbon fiber one. Looks 10x better.

Reactions: Zach58

·
Registered
88 Posts
I wasn't going to pay for the OE price for the same tank trim, but on my 13'. I bought the Chinese eBay pair instead and have not had any issues so far. I ride mine on track very often also and they have not fell off or broke.

·
Nevermore
1,140 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the tip. Just might go this route. Though I imagine you could empty out a wallet with the sheer amount of carbon fiber stuff you could buy. This seems to be a viable alternative over the brittle plastic.

·
Nevermore
1,140 Posts
Once you get the carbon fiber bug it's hard to stop.

Reactions: 1202067 and Zach58

·
Registered
100 Posts
Unless you're tracking constantly, and worried about the 1lb you'll shed from a full carbon set. It's not really worth the 1,000s it'd cost to go full carbon. Better to get decent wrap if you're deadset on carbon.

·
Venom X/O
24,462 Posts
Unless you're tracking constantly, and worried about the 1lb you'll shed from a full carbon set. It's not really worth the 1,000s it'd cost to go full carbon. Better to get decent wrap if you're deadset on carbon.
Even then the carbon isn’t worth it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I've got a cheap set of Chinese fairings on mine. I'm pretty sure they came from fairing masters. They were on my machine when I bought it. They have issues but it is from piss poor installation. Some of the tabs are busted, the tail melted because they didn't install any heat shield and there are a lot of gaps. I've been meaning to replace them with another set of Chinese fairings but I haven't gotten around to it (the god @#$% rona has my checks looking pretty short). This is just my experience and individual experience may vary.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've got a cheap set of Chinese fairings on mine. I'm pretty sure they came from fairing masters. They were on my machine when I bought it. They have issues but it is from piss poor installation. Some of the tabs are busted, the tail melted because they didn't install any heat shield and there are a lot of gaps. I've been meaning to replace them with another set of Chinese fairings but I haven't gotten around to it (the god @#$% rona has my checks looking pretty short). This is just my experience and individual experience may vary. View attachment 1016471
Theres a set of Lucky strike fairings that look really cool. I just took my fairings off yesterday to fix my tachometer. The middle piece had broken off and I had to take it apart to fix it. What a headache.thought I could get away with just removing the windshield. What a dolt was I. What color are those wheels? I recently purchased some metallic bronze from prismatic powders and I'm gonna powder coat them next time I do a tire change. Probably put on some angel 2s because I ride all weather.

·
Registered
127 Posts
They're the stock bronzie color. Short of the gyrt slip ons and a tune I don't think much has been done. I was told it had graves full system but it has cats, so I'm not so sure. She is a runner though.

In my opinion, if installed properly, the Chinese stuff is just fine.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts