Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
THEONEGTIVR6
1,347 Posts
My 04 did this and I searched and searched for a solution then ended up buying a new fuel pump. I was able to stop the leak by using a sealant followed by a bit of jb weld but there was no way I was going to leave it like that.

·
Registered
20 Posts
So I Had the common fuel return line leak where its leaking from the seem between the plastic nipple and the fuel sending unit on my 2004 r1.
Most people glue around it to seal it back up as was done in this thread

You need to take the pump/sending unit out of the tank and then take the top cover off the pump/sending unit (4 tabs and 2 connectors (take note of which connector goes where as they both fit in each others sockets)) as if you were going to replace the actual pump inside.

The dealer will tell you the nipple doesn't come apart from the sending unit housing but it sure does with an eye glasses screwdriver and a little pressure on the fins from the underside by pressing on the return line nipple of the sending unit top.

There is an o-ring in there, replace the o-ring (dealer gave me one for free to try as they dont have apart number for it), reassemble (make sure to seat the o-ring for the fuel supply side with the circular cap so fuel wont pour out the tank when you tip it back over), and your leak is fixed the correct way. Don't have to worry about glue or epoxy getting eaten through or what have you.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for the help... I should have pulled the pump and fixed it properly... I know what to do if my seal gets eaten up.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I almost glued mine but since the nipple moved a little back and forth and up and down, I knew that it wasn't glued together in the first place so I assumed it had an o-ring in the housing.
I like most people (I assume) are afraid to touch the sending unit because its plastic and if anything breaks you need a new sending unit/pump which are "cheap" compared to the dealer pricing but still are in the $200 range which isn't really that cheap.
The dealer is no help either they just replace the whole pump so you're on your own.
I just took my time and was very easy on everything I touched.
I saved myself at least $200 on a new "unknown condition" sending unit plus a week of waiting for it from eBay when the real issue is a 10 cent o-ring and a 30 minute fix.

I hope this helps everyone else that has this issue just wish I had caught some people before they bought new pumps to solve this issue.

·
THEONEGTIVR6
1,347 Posts
I bought another pump when I had this issue and did save my old one so this is great. Going to fix it for a backup. Thanks very much. Hopefully I can find a oring that will work.
I had tried to get my nipple apart using the exact technique you described here but guess I just gave up too soon.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice Jake...

Best bet would be to take the nipple piece to auto part store to get a match... they dont have exact part numbers for o rings... The one replaced on my generator i just found a match. NAPA was very helful.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Nice Jake...

Best bet would be to take the nipple piece to auto part store to get a match... they don't have exact part numbers for o rings... The one replaced on my generator i just found a match. NAPA was very helpful.
Just make sure its rated for fuel.

Definitely take the nipple along with the o-ring and maybe even the top of the sending unit to make sure the o-ring fits tight around the nipple and inside the sending unit top where the nipple goes in, at least that's what I did.

Also my o-rings (return line nipple and fuel supply side were squared off looking and the new o-ring they gave me was rounded like you'd expect and it worked fine(chcked again today while doing other maintenance, still no leak). I'm not sure if they make squared off edged o-rings or not or if this o-ring started out as round and became square after so many years of being squished inside the o-ring bosses.

The fin closest to the outer edge of the sending unit was the most difficult but not impossible, I barely caught it with the edge of the tiny eye glasses screwdriver (flat head of course) and twisted just a little. its like taking off the hospital bands and other amusement park bands. I learned how to remove them well from my 3 daughters births so they arn't cut or anything in the scrap books. Patience and light force is your friend.

If you guys could do me a solid and take a pic (just like mine) of your pump when you just get the cap undone from the rest of the sending unit body, as to how the wires are run I'd be grateful.

I took mine apart and it came apart so fast and violently the first time because of the fuel supply o-ring or the varnished fuel I'm guessing, that I couldn't see.

I'm asking because I actually broke the little black wire that connects to the copper pin in this pic i attached while taking the sending unit/pump apart to clean as I had 2.5 gallons of fuel varnish in my tank (that's a whole other story) and bought another broken pump to replace the wires.

So the way I have it routed in this pic puts pressure on the little black wire which I now know is connected to the copper tab that is flimsy and will rip the copper in half easily as I've done it with very little pressure. I tried getting guys with pumps that were untouched (brand new or never taken apart for any reason) but no one responded with anything useful.

The pump is back in my tank and works fine but just for peace of mind I'd like to know.

Link to my post about it https://www.r1-forum.com/forums/104-04-06-r1-mechanical-help/628065-2004-r1-fuel-pump-removal-sending-unit.html#post8762665

Attachments

·
THEONEGTIVR6
1,347 Posts
Going to have a look for mine today. I have it put up somewhere and it’s together where you will be able to see what you need to see. I need to figure out where I put it anyway so I can fix it and have a spare fuel pump ready to go.

·
THEONEGTIVR6
1,347 Posts
I have pics of mine but there pics of it together. I took a pic looking down into how the wires go so it may help you. Let me know if you want me to upload it.

·
R1 and Speed Metal
32 Posts
I almost glued mine but since the nipple moved a little back and forth and up and down, I knew that it wasn't glued together in the first place so I assumed it had an o-ring in the housing.
I like most people (I assume) are afraid to touch the sending unit because its plastic and if anything breaks you need a new sending unit/pump which are "cheap" compared to the dealer pricing but still are in the $200 range which isn't really that cheap.
The dealer is no help either they just replace the whole pump so you're on your own.
I just took my time and was very easy on everything I touched.
I saved myself at least $200 on a new "unknown condition" sending unit plus a week of waiting for it from eBay when the real issue is a 10 cent o-ring and a 30 minute fix.

I hope this helps everyone else that has this issue just wish I had caught some people before they bought new pumps to solve this issue.
Thanks a million for this post. I'm building another 05 Teack Bike and I also ran into the same situation. I looked on the internet for weeks and finally typed up my problem the right way and your post came up. I had the same thoughts as you about it must have an o ring. I'm glad to know that it can be replaced. This will be my project this weekend.

·
R1 and Speed Metal
32 Posts
UPDATE: Fixed it....!!!! Thanks #polygaryd....Relatively easy fix once you magane to get it all apart.so there's a small O ring on the return nipple spout that will dry out. I will post some videos and pics. I hope it helps guys.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts