Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, new to forum, rider of about 4+ years.
2004 r1 - 25k miles - modified sprockets/chain - has been lowered by previous owner.
Got a 2004 R1 about 8 months ago. Almost flawless besides it needed a new clutch, ordered through a mechanic, installed myself with help of manual. Had some trouble getting outer hub to actual fit back into the actuator and sit properly, but dad helped out and I think it all worked out. When I first started riding it I noticed it sounded kind of noisy in neutral and would sometimes cut off on me when I pulled in the clutch coming to a stop. So I Adjusted the clutch cable a bit (at the bars) to find a place where that wouldn't occur and it's been fine ever since, just a little noisy.

Lately there's been some issues. The issue starts and has gotten progressively worse when the bike gets hot. As the bike heats up and the longer I ride it, the clutch cable freeplay moves. Meaning I could start with freeplay in spec (or no freeplay at all)and at the end of a hot summer ride the clutch will have tons of freeplay and I have to frequently adjust the clutch during the ride through the handlebar adjuster to keep it where the bike likes it (not slipping and not constantly grabbing).

I'm posting because now the issue is making it borderline unridable. once the bike heats up, very frequently, when I pull the clutch in coming to a stop the revs will drop very low (7-800) and sound like it dying (like im trying to take off and lugging the engine, yet im not actually moving anywhere.) Sometime the bike actually completely cuts off, especially if I pull in the clutch at higher speeds (meaning I dont downshift all the way and rather just pull in the clutch around 30mph and coast, this is when it's worse.) In the past if this rarely happened I would just blip the throttle and the idle would go back to normal around 1200,1300 but lately it just stays there lugging at 700 and sounds awful.

This constant change of the friction zone, sometimes weird and more jerky shifts, cutting out, weird idle, etc is becoming very frustrating. I know that the clutch itself was installed properly, based off when its cold and when the cable is adjusted where it likes to be, the bike shifts smooths as butter, wants to wheelie everywhere, etc. Something has just gotten progressively worse and I wanted to make a post before I just start doing random different things to it. Trying to avoid taking to a mechanic, im a poor college student. lol

(SIDE NOTE) This bikes only other 2 issues in the past/present have been a slight coolant smell (possible leak) and the handle bars shake a bit (like a mini speed wobble) when I let go of the handlebars at speed. The latter issue of wobbly handle bars gets NOTICABLY worse when the clutch symptoms are at their worse. I have no idea what would cause the shakes, and took it to a mechanic to even check specifically for it, but to no avail. Wanted to mention in case there was a possibility the clutch cable is so badly adjusted or situated that it could be slightly pulling on the handlebars and as the cable heats up or stretches or whatever is happening and maybe be mimicking slight handlebar input that would cause a sort of wobble?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Did you soak the fibres in mineral oil for a day before insta them? Sounds like they’re stuffed from incorrect installation, pull the cover and inspect your work

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you soak the fibres in mineral oil for a day before insta them? Sounds like they’re stuffed from incorrect installation, pull the cover and inspect your work
I did soak the fibres, I can't remember for how long but it was for as long as all the tutorials I watched said to and what the manual called for. Why would the issue just now be getting worse so long after installation?

I will check though! What exactly am I looking for? And what do you mean by "stuffed" from incorrect installation. I dont know what to inspect for.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Pull the fibres and steels and inspect each one carefully, a sheet of glass on a work bench is good for checking warping of the steels, also look for bluing of the steel plates, measure thickness of all parts, smell the fibres you’ll know if they’re not right, check the basket and hub for notching. While it’s all apart clean and lube the cable. Report back with what you find

·
Registered
11 Posts
Check the last clutch it does not sit the same as the others. Also check that the wire retainer is set properly in the carage.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts