Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, newbie here so go easy on me. recently picked up a very good condition 2004 R1. I did not notice this at time of buying but the bike at times will not turn over at all. When you turn on the ignition all regular functions occur and you can hear fuel pump start. However it sounds like it continues to stay on or something is humming after for a while. You hit the start switch and nothing. If you hit the kill switch or press the start again and cycle it, she eventually turns over right away.

1) Battery issue? Checked voltage

2) Starter Relay?

3) Fuel pump relay?

4) Start switch?

5) Starter?

6) any other ideas?

i do have the service manual. After battery it talks about starter motor checks. Thats a big under taking to gain access, i prefer easy first.

also i have a module under the seat that blinks red ? Whats that? The component that continues to hum is towards bottom of bike in front of rear tire.

sorry and thank you
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Automotive exterior
Bicycle chain Automotive tire Crankset Bumper Bicycle part

· Registered
57 Posts
Is that where the little box under the seat wired is wired up to in that last photo? That's the servo motor for the exup valve operation if im not mistaken. That would then be a "servo buddy" or basically to trick the bike into thinking that your exup valve is still there/operational without throwing a code. If it ain't broke don't fix it. As long as you can still get it to start by cycling the kill switch I would personally say don't mess with it.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I will check it. That servo motor hums even after the fuel pump stops. Sometimes, i cycle kill switch, some types snap the throttle, sometimes hold the switch….just dont want to get stranded, doesn't seem right…

· Registered
57 Posts
Well in a way you're not wrong lol it is tricking the bike into thinking everything is still there and operating like new. Check the exup valve and see if it's still there. There's a spot in the service manual that walks you through how to check the exup valve using the "Diagnostic mode" feature. Basically what i'm getting at is- remove the damn thing if your exup valve can be salvageable. I had issues with mine where when i bought it the cables were switched around the wrong way and they eventually frayed and then snapped so i had removed my exup valve and made a plate to put on it and i have no code being thrown.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update. Replaced starter relay, no change. Then put back old one then changed fuel pump relay, no change. I am concerned its the start switch. I took it apart and looked for debris. Is that worth changing, what do i check next, i will clean connections. All gave dielectric grease on inside connections….

· Registered
48 Posts
hey guys, newbie here so go easy on me. recently picked up a very good condition 2004 R1. I did not notice this at time of buying but the bike at times will not turn over at all. When you turn on the ignition all regular functions occur and you can hear fuel pump start. However it sounds like it continues to stay on or something is humming after for a while. You hit the start switch and nothing. If you hit the kill switch or press the start again and cycle it, she eventually turns over right away.

1) Battery issue? Checked voltage

2) Starter Relay?

3) Fuel pump relay?

4) Start switch?

5) Starter?

6) any other ideas?

i do have the service manual. After battery it talks about starter motor checks. Thats a big under taking to gain access, i prefer easy first.

also i have a module under the seat that blinks red ? Whats that? The component that continues to hum is towards bottom of bike in front of rear tire.

sorry and thank you View attachment 1027306 View attachment 1027307
Anyway it's neutral kickstand deal

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Its not kick stand. I wiggled the start switch back and forth and up and down and it flickers/fires…..pretty sure its the start switch. I will order replacement. Big deal to replace?

· Premium Member
2012 YZF - R1
114 Posts
You can bypass the starter button by jumping the terminals on the starter relay with a insulated set of pliers or something. The photo is from my R6, but they are likely close enough that it's fine; connector positions may change, but the two big wires are power to your starter.
Automotive tire Gas Automotive wheel system Auto part Motor vehicle

1 - 11 of 11 Posts