Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2004 R1 that was left sitting for 7 years…I replaced the fuel pump, battery and spark plus. Also the general fluid changes…when I try to start it I hear the fuel pump working (i also tested it). All I hear is the relay click and it doesn’t even try to turn over. I tried testing the spark plug and I didn’t get any spark. Can someone please give me ideas of trouble shooting or ideas???

·
Like The Rising Phoenix
2,682 Posts
I have not i will try it…do I hit the starter relay? That’s the only accessible part without removing the tank etc
you tap on the starter, its a bit of a pain to do cause its under the gas tank

Reactions: jsp1990 and 1202067

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I have not i will try it…do I hit the starter relay? That’s the only accessible part without removing the tank etc
you said it clicks so it working, and you changed battery

hit/tap starter motor gently with metal hammer

starter relay and starter cutout relay located under seat

try starting engine by pushing bike and then engage clutch

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
you said it clicks so it working, and you changed battery

hit/tap starter motor gently with metal hammer

starter relay and starter cutout relay located under seat

try starting engine by pushing bike and then engage clutch
Could this be the issue I found this plug that doesn’t look like all the teeth are in it???

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I also just ran a diagnostic mode to see what error codes I am getting and I got all of these 17 18 19 22 43 46 49 FYI I did remove the entire rear lights so not sure if that’s what some of this is? Please assist with the list along with the pictures…Thanks in advance guys/gals!!!!

·
Like The Rising Phoenix
2,682 Posts
not sure about that plug, but you won't always have all the pins, depending on how things are wired up. but one of the pins does look burned out, so that could be a problem. what does that plug go to? Codes 17 and 18 are exup valve codes, so either something is wrong with yours, or it was removed and a servo buddy was not installed, or the servo buddy (or there exup delete modual) is going bad
And here are the other code, based on the list i have
19 = short circuit to the engine control unit by pressing the start button
22 = failure temperature sensor in the inlet
43 = error of measurement board voltage (short circuit in the wiring)
46 = no voltage on the unit injector
i got nothing for 49. and i don't know how good my list is or accurate. But might give you an idea of what to look for

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
not sure about that plug, but you won't always have all the pins, depending on how things are wired up. but one of the pins does look burned out, so that could be a problem. what does that plug go to? Codes 17 and 18 are exup valve codes, so either something is wrong with yours, or it was removed and a servo buddy was not installed, or the servo buddy (or there exup delete modual) is going bad
And here are the other code, based on the list i have
19 = short circuit to the engine control unit by pressing the start button
22 = failure temperature sensor in the inlet
43 = error of measurement board voltage (short circuit in the wiring)
46 = no voltage on the unit injector
i got nothing for 49. and i don't know how good my list is or accurate. But might give you an idea of what to look for
Would any of that cause it not to start or even attempt to turn over?

·
Registered
R1 08
195 Posts
49 - stator/charging problems

did you check the stator?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

I did not…any best practices to test the stator?

·
Like The Rising Phoenix
2,682 Posts

that post says its a code for the Exup system. where did you find 49 to be a charging problem?

·
Like The Rising Phoenix
2,682 Posts
Would any of that cause it not to start or even attempt to turn over?
hard to say, a short in the system for the starter could cause your problem. and still not sure where that harness in your picture goes to, cause that looks like one of the pins got burned up or broken in that picture. the 3rd pin on the top is the one im talking about

Reactions: 1202067 and jsp1990
1 - 20 of 83 Posts