Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok in January I Purchased a double bouble Zero Gravity windscreen. The fitment was horrible talk 1/4 lip all the way. I contacted them sent it to warranty claims and the ebay knock off I had (which fits absolutely perfect smooth fit literally rub your hand and it's smooth) they claimed they see the issue and need to retool the machine. Fast work to today and well it's still a shit fit. If I paid $30 I couldn't complain because it's a $30 fit. But I paid $95. So I expect a $95 fit. I mean a knock off pulled it off better than the real deal. Wish I remembered the ebayer for it. Anyway the fit is better than before. Maybe 1/8" lip. Right hole moved down a tad causing a slight buckle in fairing. That could be 1/16" movement for all I know but was for the wrong direction. Or maybe was so bad before it never moved. Anyway beware on the Zero Gravity Double bubble for that model year. I don't know if they use the same machine for holes on the regular and touring. Right now looks like see if I can at least get store credit and not a total wash of my money.

·
Horsepower whisperer
1,347 Posts
I bought one on amazon for $20 bucks. Fits great.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah that's what I went back to. But Cycle Gear is replacing it with a Puig. Here was the response from Zero Gravity. And this lip isn't small it's pretty distracting when looking at the bike like I put on a $10 windscreen and not a $100 windscreen. I could've dremelled the holes and fit it right most likely. My guess is their factory fairing isn't on a actual bike and it will be more versatile for their windscreen where it is where it is on the bike and less likely to move for the windscreen anyway here is the response I got.

Dear David,

I'm sorry you are not happy with the windscreen we re-made for you. I read your critique of the screen and accept your criticism but am unable to understand your complaint. We were thankful that you made us aware of a problem with our production tool for that model. We fixed the problem and made several prototypes before we made your screen. Then we fit your new screen to an OEM fairing we have for such purposes and your screen fit perfectly.

In your email you compare our screen to the cheap Chinese screen you sent along with the defective screen. Please understand that these products provide distinctly different advantages. The Chinese screen is injection molded, meaning the manufacturer forces hot molten plastic under high pressure into a cavity mold allowing just about any shape to be achieved. If done right the screen can be made to fit the fairing precisely. The disadvantage is that the optical quality of these Chinese screens is quite poor. If precision fit is most important to you at the expense of optical quality, then great, this screen is best for you.

Our screens (and virtually all aftermarket screens except some Chinese) are made by thermo forming sheet plastic. Of all the aftermarket windscreen brands ours is at the top of the list for fit. For screens that have a very complicated geometry, like the R1, we come as close as we can to the fit of the OEM screen. Our screens will always fit well, but sometimes not as absolutely precise as the OEM. But our screens do have a very high degree of optical quality and are virtually distortion free. This is what we are known for and this is why most factory race teams in the U.S. use our screens.

If optical quality is not important to you then it is not necessary to spend the extra money to buy a premium racing quality screen like ours.

With regard to Cycle Gear, please try to return the screen to them. If they are unwilling, please send me the name and phone number of the person you talked to. I will see what I can do to rectify the situation.

Thanks,

Glenn Cook, President

Zero Gravity Corporation

·
Thread killer...
2,552 Posts
Their reply seems pretty spot on. I am running a cheap knock off and it fits absolutely perfect, but there is next to zero visibility through it. I can't tuck behind the screen anyway so it is a moot point for me.

Seems like excellent customer service though. They tried to make it right, acknowledged their limitations, and it appears to have worked out for you with getting a replacement from CG.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Their reply seems pretty spot on. I am running a cheap knock off and it fits absolutely perfect, but there is next to zero visibility through it. I can't tuck behind the screen anyway so it is a moot point for me.

Seems like excellent customer service though. They tried to make it right, acknowledged their limitations, and it appears to have worked out for you with getting a replacement from CG.

The screen I got back from them was still pretty bad. End result Cycle Gear ordered me a Puig windscreen which fits almost as good as the cheap one. And the clearity is what you would want. You almost can't tell the Puig doesn't fit as perfectly where the final product of Zero Gravity still looked as though was for the wrong bike. The right side they made worse and the holes were a bit closer causing the fairing to buckle up a bit. Anyway Puig screen end up working out great so you can get a good fit and functional.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
3 Participants
David Zimmerman
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing