Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
The fastest Colour!!!
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never thought this would come up !!! But how do we get rid of the speed limiter on the 2004 R1. Apparently there is a cut-off at 300KPH or 189MPH as per the Amasuperbike test of the bike. Too much snow locally for me to try it out but I know a few people with Gixer 1000's that have removed their limiter so I need it done too!

B

·
Camshaft
283 Posts
:confused: That would be cool to know, 300 fast enough for me though. I only had my 1999 up to 286 and thought that was too fast. Mind you, I started getting a little head shake at around 265. With the 2004, I might see 300.:crash Maybe more...:dunno

·
The fastest Colour!!!
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was getting my 2002 up into the 299 range but I was looking for more from the 2004.

·
Banned
706 Posts
:confused: Interesting... I'm not big on top-speed runs, exciting as they are n'all, but anything over 260 starts feeling preety fast to me... :dunno Not to mention 160mph+ cars aren't a dime-a-dozen here... :lol

·
The fastest Colour!!!
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am not worried about the cages, more about the other bikes... The Gix1K would blow by us on top end last year and want to make sure that it doesn't happen again. The GSX-R had their speed limiter removed with the TRE!

·
Banned
9,594 Posts
MonctonR1 said:
Never thought this would come up !!! But how do we get rid of the speed limiter on the 2004 R1. Apparently there is a cut-off at 300KPH or 189MPH as per the Amasuperbike test of the bike. Too much snow locally for me to try it out but I know a few people with Gixer 1000's that have removed their limiter so I need it done too!

B
Haha!! I got into an argument in this thread: 04' R1 vs. Busa vs. ZX-12 The ones disagreeing with me did not believe that the new R1 would be resticted at top speed (189mph).

Look peeps, stock bikes have pretty much reached their maximum potential, until the laws or gentlemans agreements change again. Which they probably won't.

*** TRE ***

Taken from a Busa forum;

"5 cents for a resistor, 70 dollars for a TRE, 100 dollars for an ATRE

I recommend the resistor options, instead of wasting 70+ on a TRE which WILL probly NOT derestrict the bike. And an ATRE which may or may not work. I cant confirm that any TRE will work because i do know know how the electrical system is on the 03, on an 02 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, and 6th gear are known to be restricted, i am unsure of 4th because i have heard it isnt, but not that it is (reason why im making a homemade tre for both 4th and 5th gear).

Look at the wireing diagram in the switchable TRE post in this section, it shows how to wire the switches and the resistors. I listed all of the resistor values on there.

I know on the previous models , and i believe its the same on the 03, you can get your ECU rev-limiter raised.

Last thing, If we all come to find out all the gears are restricted on an 03, the ECU change is the only way i know of to come close to derestricting it. But, you get better performance in the lower gears with a TRE."

·
The fastest Colour!!!
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mine is a 2004.. You think it as as simple as on the GSXR?

·
The fastest Colour!!!
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
probably not.. Just would hate beating the GSX-R up to 300KPH and then see him fly by me cause I was limited.

B

·
I am allergic to stupidity!
271 Posts
I read that same article, wasn't that guy talking about indicated speed? I thought he said something like that is what he saw on the speedo. The odd thing that I don't understand much is I dyno'd my bike, an 02 R1, not too god awful...all i have is a slipon. A guy came in with an 03 with a slip on and only had maybe 5 ponies on me on the same dyno. Are we, we all are guilty at one point or another, putting much importance on HP numbers? It comes down to the rider. I know this has been stated a million times, but if a gixxer passes you, in my opinion it is the rider and not the bike. I am not going to lie I got beat by an 03 R6. I am not proud of that, but he got ahead of me and I couldn't catch up by the time we stopped (1 mile race).

I weigh about 220 and I have raced a lot of gixxers, as well as other bikes, I am not Damon Buckmaster..but I hold my own. The only times I can remember getting beat by a 1000, in particular, is when I missed a shift (hit the shifter and it downshifted at very high rpm..just fell out of gear) or during a rolling start at 30 miles an hour. Had him until 5th gear. Most of the time it comes down to the start. To be honest I think the 954's are pretty freakin fast. Besides that if he is coming up on you..block him or run his ass off the rode! LOL:rock Just kidding son't do that. I don't know, my two cents.

·
Registered
302 Posts
There is no stock or likely even modified R1 that is going 300 kph or 186 mph for real.

The 00-01's were being radared in the 169-171 mph (270kph) range. To go the extra 30 kph would be monumental.

Now if you want bragging rights about indicated speed just gear it down big time and wind her out to redline.:lol

·
Registered
296 Posts
I read an article that said the 2004 R1 is governed at 186MPH but is geared to reach a top speed of 192MPH. Basically, they bike has the power and is geared to go 192MPH, if you could remove the governor. I beleive it was a Sport Rider article, I will try and find it.

·
Anyone see a Honda I'm hungry
749 Posts
Rooster62181 said:
I read an article that said the 2004 R1 is governed at 186MPH but is geared to reach a top speed of 192MPH. Basically, they bike has the power and is geared to go 192MPH, if you could remove the governor. I beleive it was a Sport Rider article, I will try and find it.
Seems like that article said it was geared for 197 mph if it had the HP to break the wind barrior . I saw 170 in 5th this weekend .

·
Registered
3 Posts
rydfree said:
Seems like that article said it was geared for 197 mph if it had the HP to break the wind barrior . I saw 170 in 5th this weekend .

"I have had my bike fo 1000 miles and it stops at 189mph every time. It is limited. Tell me how to get rid of this problem, I want to go faster" Mike Martin

1 - 20 of 56 Posts