What’s All NEW for 2004?
• Completely redesigned short-stroke 998cc,
DOHC, 20-valve, liquid-cooled, inline 4-cylinder
engine now produces 180 horsepower at an
amazing 12,500 rpm (with Ram-Air).
• All-new, 27mm narrower fuel injection system
uses motor-driven secondary throttle valves and
32-bit ECU for super-responsive, instantaneous
• Two-piece ergonomically designed fuel tank
carries fuel in the rear section, for good centralization
of mass, while the front half contains a
new, Ram-Air-fed airbox for increased power.
• Re-angled cylinder head–40 degrees forward
instead of 30–optimizes weight distribution,
straightens intake tracts for improved cylinder
filling, and allows frame to pass over instead of
around the engine for great strength.
• Radical new closed-deck cylinder block reduces
cylinder pitch, allowing an engine with 3mm wider
bores to grow only 2.8mm wider instead of 12mm.
• Narrower-angle 5-valve combustion chambers
produce a highly efficient 12.3:1 compression
ratio. Bigger valves and intake cams with more
lift and duration flow more air.
• 16% lighter crankshaft, 3% lighter forged
pistons, and 9% lighter 7.5mm shorter
carburized connecting rods with perfectly mated
big ends add up to a quicker-revving engine with
excellent high-rpm durability.
• High silicon-content ceramic-composite cylinder
sleeves ensure greater heat dissipation for
consistent power delivery and reduced friction.
• Strong, yet lightweight clutch and close-ratio
6-speed gearbox with triangulated shaft layout
for increased strength, compactness, and
• Titanium underseat exhaust system (except
for stainless steel midpipe with catalyst)
contains a new titanium EXUP valve for a broad,
• High-efficiency curved radiator and an
aluminum liquid-cooled oil cooler maintain
stable operating temperature.
• Direct ignition coils, new dual-electrode spark
plugs and high-output magneto deliver more
• AC generator moves behind cylinder block for a
narrow engine with excellent cornering clearance.
• All-new, aluminum Deltabox main frame rails
pass over the engine instead of around it, resulting
in a structure that’s 200% more rigid vertically,
50% stiffer laterally, and 30% stiffer torsionally.
• Overall frame width is reduced from 464 to
395.6mm, which produces more comfortable
ergonomics as well as more efficient
• All-new, Controlled Fill die cast, truss-type
swingarm is 30% stronger and long for optimal
traction and feedback.
• Front-end geometry with 5mm more fork offset
and reduced trail from 103mm to 97mm for
• The rider is repositioned for greater comfort too:
Clip-on handlebars are 10mm higher, footpegs
are 2.5mm further forward and 7.5mm lower,
and the fuel tank is narrower.
• Controlled Fill die cast, detachable aluminum
subframe is light, strong and allows easy rear
• Rear brake caliper is 12% lighter and rear disk
is 10 grams lighter.
• Dual 320mm front disc brakes; lighter/stronger,
forged one-piece radial-mount calipers and Brembo
radial-pump front master cylinder with adjustable
lever delivers great braking controllability.
• Fully adjustable KYB inverted telescopic front
fork gets stiffer springs, 4.7” of travel, and rigid
• Piggyback rear shock gets a stiffer spring, 5.1"
of wheel travel, full adjustability and a lightweight,
accessible aluminum preload adjustment collar.
• New, 5-spoke wheels are 10% lighter in front
and 7.5% lighter in rear for improved acceleration,
deceleration, handling and suspension action.
• Underseat titanium exhaust system is lightweight,
reduces drag, enhances mass centralization,
allows 56 degrees of cornering clearance–and
adds to R1’s predatory appearance.
• Two multi-reflector and two projector “Gatlingbeam”
headlights provide great illumination and
• New instrument panel with adjustable LCD
illumination and multi-function digital gauges:
odometer, dual tripmeters, water temperature,
air temperature, full-time clock and lap timer.
Large 15,000 rpm analog tachometer with
adjustable shift light.
• Aggressive new bodywork for improved
aerodynamics with twin Ram-Air intakes for
increased engine performance.
• LED taillight is light, bright and highly efficient.
• Sticky 120/70-ZR17 and 190/50-ZR17 radial
tires for incredible grip and precise handling.
• Forged footpegs are extra durable and light.
• Extensive use of hollow bolts and lightweight
fasteners help trim overall weight.
• 8.2 AH battery is more compact and
• California emission compliant.
• Durable #530 O-ring–sealed drive chain.
• Standard toolkit located in convenient storage
compartment under passenger seat.