Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The bike is a 2005 with 1700 miles on it and idles at mid 2K on warm up and then upwards of 3K once warm. I just had the TPS recall done by a dealer because I thought that was the reason for my high idle but that did not fix the issue (Diag mode shows 17-98). It is not the idle adjustment screw either as that has no effect on the idle speed. Any thoughts on what else this could be?

Some possibly important details about the bike: it has a full Akrapovic exhaust and a PC3 on it.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
there's a plunger in the middle of the throttle bodies that controls idle when its cold, it runs coolant through it to adjust as the bike comes up to temp. it is easy to install it incorrectly or possibly is being faulty. i would take a look at it and see if its correct then i would see where it is cold and see if it moves in or out as it warms up. the base idle screw won't do anything until it has come down off that plunger onto the screw

·
It's all about the drive!
224 Posts
The bike is a 2005 with 1700 miles on it and idles at mid 2K on warm up and then upwards of 3K once warm. I just had the TPS recall done by a dealer because I thought that was the reason for my high idle but that did not fix the issue (Diag mode shows 17-98). It is not the idle adjustment screw either as that has no effect on the idle speed. Any thoughts on what else this could be?

Some possibly important details about the bike: it has a full Akrapovic exhaust and a PC3 on it.
Low on coolant. Same thing happened to my Brother’s bike. Apparently, when coolant gets low, the fast idle device doesnt get hot coolant, so it engages.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts