Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Tested +; Motorcycle Fever
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Can you imagine completing the Iron Butt on an R1 !! For the ultimate in hardcore street riding, check it out http://ironbutt.com

I've finished two Saddlesore 1000's (1000+ miles in 24 hours or less) on my R1. Any other long distance R1 riders out there - let's here your stories.

Repo

·
Banned
9,594 Posts
I've ridden my R1 approx. 650 miles in one stint (5-6 hours) with three short (fuel) stops. I've done almost 800 miles (approx. 9.5 hours) on my ZX7-R stopping five times for fuel and water. Most people complain about riding sportbikes for long distances. It's just a matter of proper posture and conditioning.

I've read a lot about the Ironbutt. I hope to one day race the Ironbutt as it's a fantastic event.

·
Off Topic mod
11,217 Posts
That is insane but I think it would be fun as hell we can get a couple of people to do it at the same time urging each other on :rock

·
Cornering Enthusiast
1,747 Posts
LOL Opus

I guess I'll ride as a support bike since it's easy for me:finger Throw the bags on and carry emergency stuff.....

·
dont let your meat loaf
414 Posts
lol, ok road warrior, your the man. but id prolly try to do it on my new 04 R1 rather than my naked bike. just so i could say i did it.
if R-1 forum wants to get something together, im def in!

·
DAMN YOU SHANE
14,362 Posts
if i could be off i would have no problem with it but there is no telling if i would make it

·
Tested +; Motorcycle Fever
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
The Ironbutt rally is so over the top that I wouldn't even consider doing it on an R1 (or anything else for that matter!) - that is reserved for the truly insane. For those curious, definitely start with a Saddlesore (1000mi/24hr). It's very do-able with a little conditioning - my group rides 200 milers once a week for at least a month or two leading up to it. The first 1000 miler I did on the R1 was a lot of fun and we even spent an hour walking around Yosemite! This last year, the ride was a little over 1100mi in 24hours and it completely kicked my ass. I was starting to lose it at the end there but managed to finish in 21 hours. As far as I know, nobody has finished a Bun Burner (1500mi/24hr) on an R1... now's your chance to go down in R1 moto history!

Repo

1 - 8 of 8 Posts