Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2005 R1 and according to the owner it had been sitting for almost a decade without being cranked. The previous owner disconnected all the lights, horn, and kickstand switch when he converted it to a track bike. On top of that it has the smog block off plates, full ti exhaust, power commander and it’d been dyno tuned. He said it ran fine when he parked it and that he had just gotten too old to ride it.
I can’t get it to run right for the life of me! I’m decently mechanically inclined and at first I thought it was a fuel issue because it had been sitting for so long, but I’ve put on a new fuel pump, used injectors, fuel pressure regulator and thermo wax that came off a running bike recently and it still barely idles and when it heats up it gets a little worse. It has a bit of a lopey sound almost like a cam, but I think it might be a misfire.
Does anybody have any knowledge they can bestow upon me? I’m going to drop the radiator and check the cam position sensor to see if it’s faulty and while I’m at it I’ll check out the spark plugs and coil packs. However, I put the bike in DIAG mode and I’m pretty sure I heard all four for the coil packs click. One was very faint sounding.

·
Registered
'08 r1
3,349 Posts
Agreed, compression and leakdown test are in order. Depending on milage, a valve adjustment, throttle body sync and a fresh set of plugs wouldn't hurt.

It's really hard to tell what's wrong from here. If you bring it by the shop I can sort it out for you though.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Agreed, compression and leakdown test are in order. Depending on milage, a valve adjustment, throttle body sync and a fresh set of plugs wouldn't hurt.

It's really hard to tell what's wrong from here. If you bring it by the shop I can sort it out for you though.
Thanks for the reply! The bike only has 4,800 miles on it. I don’t think it would have bad compression from sitting because there isn’t anything I can think of that would make the rings go bad. Where is your shop located?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You might have all kinds of crap built up on the valves. Did you do a compression/leak down test? Did a family of mice make a den in your airbox? I had that happen to a dirt bike last year.
The air box is clean. The bike only has 4,800 miles on it, so I feel that it is unlikely that any build up has happened on the intake/ exhaust valves. If you’re referring to the throttle body valves then it is possible that they have ethanol build up, but I also read something about a cam position sensor getting nicked by the radiator can causing it to run bad, so I’m going to inspect that tomorrow.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm in central Texas bud.
I’m in Longview, Texas (East Texas). I’m an aircraft mechanic student and I grew up working on farm equipment, so I’d like to do the work myself if I can, but if I can’t figure it out then I’ll definitely hit you up. I haven’t looked at it too much and I’m not super familiar with electronic systems. What do you charge per hour?

·
Registered
'08 r1
3,349 Posts
I'd charge 60 for diagnostics. After that, it's parts plus flat rate. For a valve adjustment and tb sync for example it's $320.00. If plugs were provided, they're free. I'd do the fuel pump for $125.00 for another example. Electrical troubleshooting varies based on how deep I have to go.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is it just idle that runs rough?
It barely idles and it won’t rev. It has a Power Commander 3 that has been on there since the bike was new, and I’m wondering if it has gone bad. I’m going to unplug it and see if that helps. If it doesn’t I plan on checking the cam position sensor and the crank position sensor.

·
Registered
'08 r1
3,349 Posts
Do you have a copy of the service manual bud? The onboard diagnostics on the 04-06 platform is REALLY REALLY good.

Maybe the tap for the pc has corroded the tps wire. I'd check the tps values in the diagnostics if I were in your shoes. Start simple, ye?

I know the plugs are low mileage, but, I'd pop them out and have me a look see at 'em. They can tell you quite a bit.

I'd also verify my fuel pressure.

How did the tank look inside? Have you taken a look at the strainer/filter?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Do you have a copy of the service manual bud? The onboard diagnostics on the 04-06 platform is REALLY REALLY good.

Maybe the tap for the pc has corroded the tps wire. I'd check the tps values in the diagnostics if I were in your shoes. Start simple, ye?

I know the plugs are low mileage, but, I'd pop them out and have me a look see at 'em. They can tell you quite a bit.

I'd also verify my fuel pressure.

How did the tank look inside? Have you taken a look at the strainer/filter?
When I replaced the fuel pump I put on a new filter. I played around with the diagnostics mode and check the throttle position and it was 17 and 96. I’m pretty sure that is within spec. I’ll definitely check the throttle position stuff though. And yes, I just got a manual. I haven’t had much time to tinker with it because I’m a college student.

·
Registered
'08 r1
3,349 Posts
Tps values are in range. I hear you bud, definitely don't let this little project distract from your study.

You'll get there bud.

I've got faith you can get her on your own. I'll help when and how I can. Via the internet that help is going to be limited. If you decide to drop her off, I'd get her fixed for you and I wouldn't rake you over the coals.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Yea diagnostics are pretty good I would think they would pickup a bad sensor that was making it run that shit. Have you put a laser temp gun to the headers to see if there's a cylinder or 2 not running or wether it's all of them running poor

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yea diagnostics are pretty good I would think they would pickup a bad sensor that was making it run that shit. Have you put a laser temp gun to the headers to see if there's a cylinder or 2 not running or wether it's all of them running poor
I’ve thought about a temp gun, but I don’t have one. If I can find one then I definitely will try it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Tps values are in range. I hear you bud, definitely don't let this little project distract from your study.

You'll get there bud.

I've got faith you can get her on your own. I'll help when and how I can. Via the internet that help is going to be limited. If you decide to drop her off, I'd get her fixed for you and I wouldn't rake you over the coals.
I appreciate your support! And thank you for the offer, I appreciate that as well.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

You'll get there bud.

ERROR CODES R1

d1: 17/97

d2: 101

d3: 101

d5: 68

d6: 70

d7: 0

d08: 0.6

d09: 0.0-11.9

d20: on

d21: on

d30: 0.0 5 clicks

d31: 0.0 5 clicks

d32: 0.0 5 clicks

d33: 0.0 5 clicks

d36: 0.0 5 clicks

d37: 0.0 5 clicks

d38: 0.0 5 clicks

d39: 0.0 5 clicks

d48: 0.0

d50: 0.0

d51: 0.0

d52: 0.0

d53: 61-0

d56: 12-103

d60: 0.0

d61: 13,21,22,47

d62: 4

d70: 0

I flicked the on off switch and it reset d62 to 0 which then made d61 also 0, but before it was displaying 13,21,22,47
The bike has the smog stuff removed, the previous owner said he had it dyno tuned with the power commander 3 installed, full titanium exhaust, the kickstand is removed. The EXUP motor is still installed.
Is it possible that the crank shaft position sensor could be messed up even if it is within tolerance? And does anyone know what the resistance is supposed to be on the camshaft position sensor?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ERROR CODES R1

d1: 17/97

d2: 101

d3: 101

d5: 68

d6: 70

d7: 0

d08: 0.6

d09: 0.0-11.9

d20: on

d21: on

d30: 0.0 5 clicks

d31: 0.0 5 clicks

d32: 0.0 5 clicks

d33: 0.0 5 clicks

d36: 0.0 5 clicks

d37: 0.0 5 clicks

d38: 0.0 5 clicks

d39: 0.0 5 clicks

d48: 0.0

d50: 0.0

d51: 0.0

d52: 0.0

d53: 61-0

d56: 12-103

d60: 0.0

d61: 13,21,22,47

d62: 4

d70: 0

I flicked the on off switch and it reset d62 to 0 which then made d61 also 0, but before it was displaying 13,21,22,47
The bike has the smog stuff removed, the previous owner said he had it dyno tuned with the power commander 3 installed, full titanium exhaust, the kickstand is removed. The EXUP motor is still installed.
Is it possible that the crank shaft position sensor could be messed up even if it is within tolerance? And does anyone know what the resistance is supposed to be on the camshaft position sensor?
I pulled the plugs and they look fouled which makes me think there is too much fuel happening. Do you recommend I put it in the CO mode and adjust the air/fuel ratio? I also forgot to mention it’s a California bike if that means anything.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts