Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2005 R1 is clicking and not turning over after I changed the clutch cover gasket, oil pump gasket, and crank case cover gasket.

Do yall think it is not starting because of something I did wrong putting everything back together... maybe where the gear thingy in the bike connects to the gear thingy in the case cover? I thought I did everything right but it worked fine before I changed those gaskets.

Now it's just a clicking and when it clicks the yellow cel light flashes while the start button is pushed. Is it just coincidence and it's the starter or something or did I mess up somewhere?

I checked the ohms from the starter solenoid, I got like 4 ohms which seems normal.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1998 4xv
118 Posts
22 is your starter clutch idle gear the other pointer is the sprocket on your oil pump this is on my 98 model I presume it’s the same engineering as yours.if you removed the clutch to make repairs on the oil pump I gather you removed these make sure they are back in order before you press the starter button again 👍🏻🍺

Attachments

·
Registered
1998 4xv
118 Posts
22 is your starter clutch idle gear the other pointer is the sprocket on your oil pump this is on my 98 model I presume it’s the same engineering as yours.if you removed the clutch to make repairs on the oil pump I gather you removed these make sure they are back in order before you press the starter button again 👍🏻🍺

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Awesome! Thanks for the help guys. Gonna check that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I took the tank off to check the starter, the air filter was melted it looks like. It was actually down in the air housing... chunks of it on top of the (throttle body?) Could this have caused damage?

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If your battery ain’t flat and you removed your clutch there’s a sprocket on the back of the clutch which I believe your starter motor engages into
The only thing I did was remove the clutch cover because the gasket was leaking, the only thing I did to reconnect it was hold that gear up that aligns with the gear on the clutch cover. I didn't mess with any other sprockets.

·
Registered
1998 4xv
118 Posts
Ignore all the info above if all you removed was gaskets enlighten me as to which gasket you changed on the oil pump?even if the rubber gasket around your air filter went down the throttle bodies that is bad and the carbs will need clearing it would not affect your starter motor turning the engine over

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ignore all the info above if all you removed was gaskets enlighten me as to which gasket you changed on the oil pump?even if the rubber gasket around your air filter went down the throttle bodies that is bad and the carbs will need clearing it would not affect your starter motor turning the engine over
First off, I cant tell you how much I appreciate all the help. I always help people but never seem to get helped, so thank you.

Maybe I'm mistaken about the part. Here it is. I just took this cover off and replaced the gasket. When I pulled the cover off there was a big cylinder metal piece connected to it, I put it back in but shaft wouldn't go in the hole, there was a washer thingy that had fallen down, I reached with a screw driver, lifted it back into place, and it went in, seemingly fine.
The next message will be the 3 covers I pulled and replaced the gaskets.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts