Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I’m new to this forum, just picked up a project bike, 2005 R1. It needs a new head along with a few other parts. I was looking at the 2005 r1 part # for the cylinder head and I found that another bike uses this part #. The 04-06 R1, and 2007-2015 fz1. So my question is, if I put the 2007 fz1 head on my bike, will I need fz1 pistons, head gasket, etc...or just bolt up and go. Has anyone tried this? Thanks

·
Registered
'08 r1
2,664 Posts
The 07-15 fz1 uses the same head? Cool. Check the part number on the valves and valve springs. If they match, check the part number on the cams. If they match it's a direct swap.

If they don't, you'll have to change the cams, valves springs or other components.

You wouldn't need to change the pistons, rods etc unless you kept the fz cams and installed an fz harness and ecu etc.

·
Like The Rising Phoenix
2,836 Posts
What's wrong with the head you have? A machine shop can maybe just rebuild it for you depending on what the problem is. My 05 head was done at a shop when I rebuilt the bottom end.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bought the bike close to nothing with a lot of aftermarket parts, clean title, but the motor was locked. When I dropped the oil pan I noticed that a piece of the gasket that was installed tore off and blocked the oil pump, it was in pieces. I’m guessing that starved the top end because one of the valves broke up by the retainer and broke the head, piston, and most likely cylinder, just loosened the bolts for the cases and will split it soon to see how the rods are and crank

·
Like The Rising Phoenix
2,836 Posts
I bought the bike close to nothing with a lot of aftermarket parts, clean title, but the motor was locked. When I dropped the oil pan I noticed that a piece of the gasket that was installed tore off and blocked the oil pump, it was in pieces. I’m guessing that starved the top end because one of the valves broke up by the retainer and broke the head, piston, and most likely cylinder, just loosened the bolts for the cases and will split it soon to see how the rods are and crank
Ah, guess it might be safer to replace it then. But figured it was worth mentioning. Don't know today's prices, but back then 14ish years ago. It was $400 to get the head checked, decked, and new seals and stuff, plus a light port and polish.

Reactions: 1202067

·
Registered
'08 r1
2,664 Posts
Ah, guess it might be safer to replace it then. But figured it was worth mentioning. Don't know today's prices, but back then 14ish years ago. It was $400 to get the head checked, decked, and new seals and stuff, plus a light port and polish.
Probably going to cost about 3 times that now. And they say we don't have inflation...

·
Like The Rising Phoenix
2,836 Posts
Probably going to cost about 3 times that now. And they say we don't have inflation...
Probably, but it all depends on the shop. But I'm sure the prices of just the parts went up.

·
Like The Rising Phoenix
2,836 Posts
Dude, price a set of valve keepers.
Yeah that's ridiculous. $105 just for the intake side. Shims are $10 each it seems, give or take. I think I got my whole shim kit for like $50, $100 at most. And that was like 10 of each shim or something.

·
Like The Rising Phoenix
2,836 Posts
Hey all. I’m new to this forum, just picked up a project bike, 2005 R1. It needs a new head along with a few other parts. I was looking at the 2005 r1 part # for the cylinder head and I found that another bike uses this part #. The 04-06 R1, and 2007-2015 fz1. So my question is, if I put the 2007 fz1 head on my bike, will I need fz1 pistons, head gasket, etc...or just bolt up and go. Has anyone tried this? Thanks
But back on topic, just doing a little search around while I was checking the prices. It seems the cams are different. So you can use the head it's self from the other models but you would need your cams if they are useable. And your valve springs. The rest seems to be all the same parts, so head, valves, ect.

So seems for this to be easy for you, you would need an R1 head or engine for the parts. If you go with the FZ you'll have to tear it apart and swap the cams and springs.

Edit: Valve springs are different it seems as I look deeper into this.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Everything is much more now. I’ll inspect the cams I have now to see if they’re useable. Once everything is torn down and inspected I’ll price everything out hoping it doesn’t go too much over $1,000. If it does maybe I’ll just part out the rest of the bike, but i’d like to bring it back to life thats the goal

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I looked at the part #’s in both cylinder heads on the r1 and fz1. The only thing that seems to be different is the valve springs, and the camshafts. So if you end up getting an fz1 head, I guess you will have to put r1 valve springs in it along with r1 cams?

·
Registered
'08 r1
2,664 Posts
Nab a used engine and piece the one you've got together slow with premium parts bud. Build the engine you want. Send your head out to ape for port/polish. Install bronze valve seats. Get a premium set of rods and pistons.

It'll be spendy, but, when it's done, it'll be bulletproof.

Just my .02

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
all of the used engines I see look like junk unfortunately. My crankshaft, bearings, crankcases, tranny, connecting rods all look great with no visual wear. I guess now its just a matter of plastiguaging to see if they’re still in spec right? Would it make sense to re use the main and rod bearings if they look good and are within spec? Finding 8 new oem ones for the rod is near impossible, at least the size my bine calls for which is 3 (Brown)

1 - 20 of 97 Posts