Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Speed, it's all relative...
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Just did a search for this and did not come up with anything.
Yesterday while returning from a short ride, pulled up at the lights and had my indicator set to turn right. As I was first in the queue I happened to look down and noticed that the indicator dash light wasn't flashing. Thinking I had not turned on my indicators tried again - tried left and right still nothing.

Rode home with a good eye on my mirrors and with the bike running did another check - still nothing. Turned the bike off and back on again and they are now working again

WTF happened here ??

Rich.

·
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Go big..er said:
Try checking the flasher relay under the seat. Mabey it got disconnected,
I'll have a look-see and reseat the connections.

Rich.

·
Honda
2,566 Posts
I had exectly the same thing happen to me this morning. got to work, while the bike was still running i checked that i had no indicators, no dash light, no sidelights and no hazards. so whatever circuit all that is on is faulty. i then stopped the bike, later i decided that id go back out and see if the taillight was working. and all was on again.

may be worth chasing up warranty on. though it would need to happen more than once b4 they do something about it.

·
Don't Piss Off An R1
236 Posts
Well the other day, I was riding, stoped to full up with gas, got back on the road again and looked down and saw my oil temp was 63 degrees? I knew that couldn't be right. I rode for ten more minutes to see if it would correct it's self. Never changed. Pulled over and shut off the bike turned it back on and the oil temp read 195 degrees. I don't know what that was all about?

·
Made You Look !
667 Posts
This happend to me. My bike is an 02 though.

Is your brake light working?

Check your fuses. My fuse was blow. It was located under the left mid fairing of the 02.

Hope this helps you.

Greg

·
Honda
2,566 Posts
Fzrider said:
This happend to me. My bike is an 02 though.

Is your brake light working?

Check your fuses. My fuse was blow. It was located under the left mid fairing of the 02.

Hope this helps you.

Greg

It wasnt a fuse i can tell you. fuses dont "self heal" as far as i know. all i know is the indicators, hazards and sidelights stopped working, i turned off ignition for 2 mins, went back to check tail/brake lights and all was working again.

·
Made You Look !
667 Posts
Sorry man. I didnt read the part that it was working again. Maybe the fuse or a connection somewhere is loose.

Greg

·
Driving the bus to hell
1,135 Posts
both problems could be a bad ground somewhere

·
My D.O.C.
1,202 Posts
JayDeFox said:
Well the other day, I was riding, stoped to full up with gas, got back on the road again and looked down and saw my oil temp was 63 degrees? I knew that couldn't be right. I rode for ten more minutes to see if it would correct it's self. Never changed. Pulled over and shut off the bike turned it back on and the oil temp read 195 degrees. I don't know what that was all about?

Oil temp indicator? I don't think I have that on my bike.

·
My D.O.C.
1,202 Posts
Fzrider said:
I think he was referring to the coolant temp. Or he just added the oil temp indicator:dunno
That's what I thought but he mentioned it twice. I'm pretty sure he meant the coolant temperature.

·
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
dzglaser21 said:
both problems could be a bad ground somewhere
This grounding issue is worth looking into. I had the same thing happen again over the weekend on the way to the Phillip Island MotoGP. A mate following noticed that not only were my indicators not working, but also my tail light was out.

turning off and on at the fuel stop did nothing, until i turn the key to the parking light setting. Turned ignition on again and bingo I have indicators and tail light again. Problem has not returned after 3000KM of riding over the weekend.

How would this circuit be grounded - I note in my 4WD that the tail lights and interior dash lighting are on the same fuse circuit. Any ideas on a connection to start hunting for on the R1 ?

R.

·
Honda
2,566 Posts
Thankfully mine hasnt done it again. i also went to philip siland at the weekend, albeit a 250km round trip for me. but been commuting all week to work.

just a quick on ethough.

is your bike stored outside or undercover?

·
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Steve_F said:
Thankfully mine hasnt done it again. i also went to philip siland at the weekend, albeit a 250km round trip for me. but been commuting all week to work.

just a quick on ethough.

is your bike stored outside or undercover?
Get's stored under cover in the garage - locked up nicely.

It's my weekend toy and only gets ridden occasionally - haven't started it since I got home last Tuesday. Can't imaging where the fault lies - must be a dodgy connector somewhere.

R.

·
Honda
2,566 Posts
OK. cool. mine gets garaged too, though it was outside until recently. ill keep an eye on it happening again. intermittent probs are always the hardest to find though, so hopefully get to the bottom of it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts