Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bike was running fine. Recently had tank dents repaired and tank painted, installed tank but won’t start but will occasionally start on starter fluid. I’ve uploaded a “short” to YouTube. I pulled the hoses coming from the fuel pump, it will not prime when I turn the key in the ignition.
I’m not too familiar with EFI.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
The earlier ones had a tap on the bottom of the tank when the fuel pump was separate but the 04+ I believe no longer has a fuel tap since its an in tank pump. I would take the hose off and turn the bike on to pump fuel into a cup and make sure it's pumping. Obvious is isn't getting fuel for some reason I would look at the plugs for the pump, make sure it actually has fuel in it, make sure when you key on that the pump is priming the system. Then hose off and check flow, after that it's check pressure but that's more complicated.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The earlier ones had a tap on the bottom of the tank when the fuel pump was separate but the 04+ I believe no longer has a fuel tap since its an in tank pump. I would take the hose off and turn the bike on to pump fuel into a cup and make sure it's pumping. Obvious is isn't getting fuel for some reason I would look at the plugs for the pump, make sure it actually has fuel in it, make sure when you key on that the pump is priming the system. Then hose off and check flow, after that it's check pressure but that's more complicated.
So I plugged the white and green connector to the bottom of the fuel pump, directed the fuel line into a water bottle, and turned the key… no heavy flow , just a trickle.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
If it has fuel in it for sure then flip the tank over and pull the pump out. See if you see anything wrong with it, might be a filter on the inlet see if it's clogged, maybe they pulled the actual pump apart and didn't get it back together fully. See what you see

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
You can also go to the mechanical help section and download the service manual I believe it has flow specs and resistance specs to check the pump if you have a Volt meter. You also wanna check power to the pump and make sure if actually getting a full 12v and the relay isn't bad or anything like that but since it was apart it's most likely something messed up in that process of the re&re OR that it was dry for a while and somehow went to shit as a coincidence of working on the tank. The manual also might have diagrams of it apart I believe there's some o-rings in there that need to be healthy. When you plugged it in does it sound like it's working hard but not pumping much or does it sounds shit and pump low?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You can also go to the mechanical help section and download the service manual I believe it has flow specs and resistance specs to check the pump if you have a Volt meter. You also wanna check power to the pump and make sure if actually getting a full 12v and the relay isn't bad or anything like that but since it was apart it's most likely something messed up in that process of the re&re OR that it was dry for a while and somehow went to shit as a coincidence of working on the tank. The manual also might have diagrams of it apart I believe there's some o-rings in there that need to be healthy. When you plugged it in does it sound like it's working hard but not pumping much or does it sounds shit and pump low?
I only rode the bike once before repairing the tank so I don’t know if the sound is regular or not but it sounds like a servo spinning. There should definitely be a lot more gas flowing from it though when it primes.

Will pull tomorrow and take pics.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is it possible the fuel line is kinked? I know that was an issue people were having (several write-ups on here about it) but I'm not sure if it is generation specific.
I don't think fuel line is kinked, I raised tank up and rotated it while longer should have primed.

I tested the white and green plugs, the white shot up, the green did not. Problem? Here is video

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I don't remember which one is the pump plug and which is the sensor. Been a bit since I had my 04 but it might prime for only like 5 seconds then shut the pump off till you hit the start button. I'd try connecting the wires then flipping the key to make sure it isn't doing that. Not sure why you're checking the starting relay I thought it was cranking fine?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I don't remember which one is the pump plug and which is the sensor. Been a bit since I had my 04 but it might prime for only like 5 seconds then shut the pump off till you hit the start button. I'd try connecting the wires then flipping the key to make sure it isn't doing that. Not sure why you're checking the starting relay I thought it was cranking fine?
Check out my test of the starter (EDIT: fuel pump) motor; I connected the bike battery directly to the motor terminals, nothing. This must be the problem I guess???

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Starter motor? The bike turns over when you hit the button so not the starter but I did see the video just now of your fuel pump motor and yea I think that should be making noise. You should swap the wires and check again just to be sure in case it takes power only one way like a diode inside. You can also put the pump back together and try it with the bikes plug but that seems no good.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Bike was running fine. Recently had tank dents repaired and tank painted, installed tank but won’t start but will occasionally start on starter fluid. I’ve uploaded a “short” to YouTube. I pulled the hoses coming from the fuel pump, it will not prime when I turn the key in the ignition.
I’m not too familiar with EFI.
Check the fuel lines under the tank it sounds like they may be pinched. Common problem when lifting or removing tank

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Starter motor? The bike turns over when you hit the button so not the starter but I did see the video just now of your fuel pump motor and yea I think that should be making noise. You should swap the wires and check again just to be sure in case it takes power only one way like a diode inside. You can also put the pump back together and try it with the bikes plug but that seems no good.
I got the quantum motor and it spins right up when connected. I did accidentally break a plastic clip with a copper wire in it. I’m not exactly sure how it goes back together. Sold it have this much play?
Wood Safety glove Armrest Machine Metal
Bicycle tire Electrical wiring Cable Gas Bicycle handlebar

1 - 20 of 26 Posts