Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

2006 oil leak

2K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  william holden 
#1 ·
So, my 2006 has had this minor oil leak for awhile now. It’s where the coolant pipe bolts into the case. This is the inlet for the water pump. I’ve replaced both o-rings (as part of an unrelated rebuild) but that obviously didn’t change the oil leak as the o-rings are to seal coolant.

I don’t see anything in the service manual breakdowns of everything in this area that seals oil in. Maybe I’m missing it? Anyone ever have this issue and fixed it? Opinions welcome.

Also, the leak isn’t obvious in the pic because I just wiped it up. It weeps out around the outside of where the pipe goes into the case.

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
No. Head gasket is brand new also, ha ha. New pistons, head work, cylinder, all valves, etc. bike runs stronger than it ever did for sure.
There is actually another O-ring now that I’ve studied the service manual a few times tonight. It’s in the oil pan. Gets replaced when removing/installing the water and oil pump. That’s probably what it is. Winter project I suppose.

#10 ·
Pipe should be easy to change. Just drain the coolant, and replace the pipe and one o-ring. You’ll see it when you remove the pipe. The o-ring that I believe I’m having an issue with is inside the oil pan. You won’t disturb that one by removing the coolant pipe. Then, with new pipe in place, fill the radiator back up like normal. I like to take a short ride and recheck the coolant level once or twice before I’m all good with it.

Torque specs should be in the service manual. I can check next time I’m out in the shop.

Also, do yourself a favor and replace the upper plastic coolant pipe with a new one (right side of bike near radiator cap). They updated that piece to make it stronger than the original.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.