Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright i'm somewhat confused. This Chain on Ebay says it's for 2004-2005. There's other chains that says for 06-08. I thought that 04-06's were the same. Is it the seller's error? or are the 06-08 chains longer?

·
Super Moderator
24,357 Posts
The 06 stock swingarm is 25 mm longer than the 04-05. I do not know if the 06 is the same length as the 07-08 though.With any new chain purchase for most sportbikes, it will come with 120 links and you need to cut it down to fit your bike correctly.

EDIT: clicking on your ebay link... it states chain length is 116 links. So I'm assuming they are cutting it down to size.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Edited. I’m retarded, lol.

Most chains are 120 links, as Kevap stated. Do you have the proper tool to rivet the master link?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Yes i do have a chain breaker tool. But a few things i'm also wondering is do the 04-05 Sprocket bolt right up to the 06 wheel. (like are the bolt diameter the same).

this link says 116L(OEM -2pins). What does that even mean?

^ If you click on this link. It seems 06-08 is also 116 links but maybe with a 42 teeth sprocket. The first ebay link is for a 520 chain so maybe that's why it's not compatible to the stock 530 chain. But either way if the OEM is -2 pins off that's 118 links? I am so confused.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well after a lot of research it turns out the 06-08 models chain links are 118L. So i'll just be running 3 master links to compensate. Not sure how great of an idea this is on a 1000cc bike. But if you can run 1 master link, you can run 3 right? haa

·
The wife likes my R6 better.
2 Posts
Just a summary of the accurate info provided above and some additional info that should help you on future drivetrain purchases.

Stock chain on an '06 R1 is 530, 118 links. Yes, the 06 swing arm is longer then the 04-05 swing arm which had 116 links stock. I'm not sure on the 07+. Year, Make, Model of the bike aren't relevant when buying a chain. Chain size and number of links are all that matter. The swing arm dropouts have quite a bit of "adjustability", meaning that you can run 116 links which will shorten the wheelbase or you can run 120 links and lengthen the wheelbase. Changing sprocket sizes will also affect wheelbase and chain length requirements, less teeth in the front and more teeth in the back and you increase acceleration. Up in the front, down in the back and you increase top speed, you can also reduce the frequency of lifting the front tire off the ground if you are exiting 1st gear turns wide open.

The chain size: 520, 525 or 530 needs to match your sprocket size. If you were only replacing the chain, you'd need to check the sprockets, they should have the tooth count and size stamped on them. 520 chains and sprockets are lighter and since they are rotational mass between the engine and wheel it is common to "upgrade" from the 530 chain to a 520 chain. You get an increase in performance for a decrease in durability. The 520 chain and sprockets will wear out faster but will improve acceleration and if you are really in tune with your bike, you might notice better rear wheel braking performance.

As for buying chains, some chains: D.I.D, are available in increments from 100-130 (you can buy a 118 link chain put it together and be done) and other brands: EK, are only available in 100, 110, 120 and 130.

3 master links are 3 points of failure. It would probably be fine and I would do it in a pinch to get myself home, but I wouldn't keep riding it. Not because having more than 1 master link compromises the strength and durability of each additional master link but just because it's adding additional weak links to the chain. And when a bike spits a chain it's a really scare situation for you and the other riders around you.

I've seen a chain break at R1 speeds on the highway. It was a very scary situation, it broke the engine case and bent the transmission output shaft. Not spending $180 on a chain when it was time to replace it, cost him about $3500 to repair the damage, plus he still had to spend the $180 on a new chain.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts