Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I have read most of the threads relating to my problem with no luck. I have a 2006 R1, it has been running fine no problems at all and the other day I got home from work and thought I will take it out for a ride... it had other ideas! I turned the key and nothing happened... literally, it was totally dead, no dash sequence, no fuel pump priming, not a single light, no dash response, it was totally dead! I have checked all things I can think of, battery - ok, fuses - all ok even the main fuse under the seat. In my process of diagnosis I even turned the ignition off and on a few times, the only respond I get is the tach needle cycles when the key enters the off position. Has anyone had this issue and if so how the hell did you fix it ? Can anyone help me figure this one out? Please help.
Cheers

·
Is there anybody out there?
4,396 Posts
Sounds like your main switch could be bad. Trace the wires from the ignition(key barrel). Should be a plug near the front of the bike. Unplug it, turn the key on and measure the resistance between the brown and brown/blue wires(main power). Should be less than one Ohm.

Mark

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds like your main switch could be bad. Trace the wires from the ignition(key barrel). Should be a plug near the front of the bike. Unplug it, turn the key on and measure the resistance between the brown and brown/blue wires(main power). Should be less than one Ohm.

Mark
[/QUOTE
Thanks so much for your guidance, I decided to start at the beginning and got the multi meter, battery load tester and a jumper start boost kit, I discovered the battery tested ok 12+ Volts but still no power, so I hooked the jump starter kit and got ignition sequence, lights ect.... it would fire but die in the same instance!!! So I load tested battery and it failed miserably, (big sigh of relief) removed the battery and it was badly swollen, replaced with a new one and BINGO!!! We’re back on, tested the battery while running the engine and it measures 14+ volts ? Is that nominal ?

·
Registered
275 Posts
It might be the ignition switch. I had a problem years ago where my bike would completely shut itself off with zero warning. After doing lots of unsuccessful digging I replaced the upper triple and lock set (which is easier than just trying to replace the lock set). After I replaced the upper triple and ignition, the problem disappeared.

I never opened up the old one, but it must have corroded or whatever from living outside for so long.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts