Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
R1
328 Posts
In general to take full advantage of any after-market things you do in relation to the exhaust and air/fuel side of things you should get a power commander & a map done on a dyno.

In your case you will have no choice as once you install the y-pipe i doubt there is anywhere for the O2 sensor to bolt onto that so once that goes you will need to map the bike for sure.
and once you go down that road you will need to rip out the AIS... air injection system and put in smog block off plates.

if all you do is put on the slip-on's no need for a new map or power commander.

·
Hold On
174 Posts
That all makes sense. I didn't realize before I asked the question that the O2 was in the cat section of the pipe.

If you were to keep your bike stock would there be any gains to getting your bike remapped? Does it come from the factory with optimum A/F ratio or did Yamaha have to compromise (ie..lean) in their map for emission/regulations?

·
Hold On
174 Posts
I just noticed that while my bike is at idle and I put my hand near the exhaust exit there is a good amount of flow. As soon as I rev it up a little the amount of flow out the pipes decreases a significant amount. I assume this is normal (exup). I'm use to other bikes (non-exup) increasing in exhaust output with an increase in rpm. It just seems odd to me and you would think blocking that much exhaust flow would hurt performance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.