Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
YZF-R1 2007
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guy's

I know there is/has been tonnes of posts about the R1 cranking BUT not starting at all so my issue is slightly different.

I have a 07 R1 which cranks over and over before starting. Some times it takes so long I have to stop to rest the starter. Or on some occasions the battery lets me down. Even with a fully charged battery and still connected to the charger it still cranks and crank before firing.
Weather the bike is ridden every day or once a month it’s the same crank crank. Engine hot or cold it’s still the same.
It's annoying to the fact that’s its all ways in the back of your mind she's going to leave me sitting some where and not start.

Look forward to getting to the bottom of this issue..................

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
There are alot of variables that can contribute. Like you know already, most people, me included are going to tell you its normal for this generation of R1 to crank a bit before starting but sounds like yours might be a bit extreme.

1st thing I'd do is a load test on the battery. If its stock battery they aren't known for their long life. If the battery's weak starting will always be a punish. Try starting it off a car battery and see if it fires up any better.

2nd maybe throttle body sync would help.

That's the easy ones first.

3rd is more involved. Valve clearances. How many km's you got on it? Valves out of adjustment will do it, or even worse, the dreaded 07 number 4 valve stem wear.

If valve train is all good do a compression test.

·
11 Posts
My 07 does the same but not to that extreme. On a cold start it takes a few try's to start then once started if I try an give it gas it shuts off so I gotta restart it am let it get up to a good temp then it's ok. Not sure why but it is embarrassing when people are around... An this is with a brand new battery

·
YZF-R1 2007
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just saw in your sig you have a power commander too. Try disconecting that and see if its any better.
It's got 11,700kms on the clock,
I connected it to a car battery and with the same result, (Crank Crank Crank then start.
Looking at your list of susgetsions i'm going to check out the trottle body sync after as you also said to dissconnect the power commander............

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same problem

My 07 does the same but not to that extreme. On a cold start it takes a few try's to start then once started if I try an give it gas it shuts off so I gotta restart it am let it get up to a good temp then it's ok. Not sure why but it is embarrassing when people are around... An this is with a brand new battery
I have the same problem. I race a desert SR1 rhino with the 07/08 r1 motor. My old motor was shot so we just installed one with 400 miles on it. Same fuel pump, dual batteries, etc. I do have a power commander and flashed ECU but the other motor fired right up. Now it cranks about three times before firing and dies if I throttle it in the first 30 seconds. Once warm it is fine. I really need to figure this out because thus Thursday we leave for the Vegasnto Reno race. Any ideas would be appreciated.

·
Need More Money!
414 Posts
Same problem here..... Driving me crazy, I adjusted the position of the exup when you turn key to on position. I went through all the diagnostics by holding in the two buttons on dash. Went through all positions no error codes at all, new battery, new plugs, cleaned air filter, emptied tank fresh fuel, added yamalube fuel additive, removed throttle cables and fully lubed and adjusted per the manual, adjusted clutch cable free play via the manual.

Still slow to start first start of day......

Need to get the motion pro throttle synch kit next and set the throttle bodies....

For guys thinking power commander has anything to do with it...... Remember power commanders can't manipulate numbers below 7000 RPMs on 07-08 R1s anyways, so power commanders will never affect starts!

I even tried leaving ECU unplugged over night to reset the trim values... Didn't work! I just don't think synching throttle bodies will help. If I give someone all my personal information would you trust me to borrow your synch tool?

Sent from my iPad using MO Free

·
Need More Money!
414 Posts
Oh yeah..... But if I hold the throttle half open with right hand turn key to on position, then hit start button, while still hold throttle half open,

Fires up in a split second, no problem......

·
Need More Money!
414 Posts
I even tried running a sea foam treatment..... Still no change!

·
YZF-R1 2007
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Same problem here..... Driving me crazy, I adjusted the position of the exup when you turn key to on position. I went through all the diagnostics by holding in the two buttons on dash. Went through all positions no error codes at all, new battery, new plugs, cleaned air filter, emptied tank fresh fuel, added yamalube fuel additive, removed throttle cables and fully lubed and adjusted per the manual, adjusted clutch cable free play via the manual.

Still slow to start first start of day......

Need to get the motion pro throttle synch kit next and set the throttle bodies....

For guys thinking power commander has anything to do with it...... Remember power commanders can't manipulate numbers below 7000 RPMs on 07-08 R1s anyways, so power commanders will never affect starts!

I even tried leaving ECU unplugged over night to reset the trim values... Didn't work! I just don't think synching throttle bodies will help. If I give someone all my personal information would you trust me to borrow your synch tool?

Yea I tryed the dissconnecting the power commader but no differance, Like you just said If i hold the trottle just open a fraction she fires up after maybe 2-3 seconds every time.
I can live with that.

Cheers for all the ideas guys ..............

·
Need More Money!
414 Posts
Last night I double checked the spark plug torque specs. Manual says 9.3 ft lbs I personally think that's too loose, so I brought it up to 11 ft lbs, I then checked each ignition coil again, all four were within specs, primary resistance they were all at around 1.0 Olms and all secondary resistance test for both the negative and positive top terminal were right around 5.7 Olms. I have a extra fuel line on way courtesy of eBay, I will mod this one by cutting in half and adding a t- fitting so I can add a test port inline.

Mine only starts hard after sitting eight hours or so, so I'm thinking pump at first start of day is just not pushing the necessary PSIs. And then one ling cranking take place finally starving engine trying to starts aids the fuel pump by adding. Little suction/gravity feed allowing to fire up. Because if I get long start actually started, and immediately fire back up after shutting down it fires up so freaking fast. If my fuel theory is right I will keep you all posted!

·
I fix my R1
429 Posts
Had similar issue with mine. Here is what I found: Put the bike in diag mode and read throttle position to see if it is within specs. You can find info on this in the manual. On mine there is a screw that holds the throttle linkage to the throttle bodies that had come off (or was never there). The suck part is it is behind a small black cover on the throttle bodies that is protected with anti-tamper torx screws. You can get a kit at harbor freight for about $10 that has the bit you need to take it off. After I replaced that screw everything was fine. The ECU was getting a reading that was too low (under 17 i think) so it didn't want to start. :secret:

·
Registered
6 Posts
My r1 is a 07 with about 25000 miles on it. It was very hard to start in the morning and if i rode it a while and got gas wouldn't start and if it did ran very poorly. check the throttle bodies set them at 16 which the manual said to then adjusted the exup valve cause it was way off and now fires up everytime no problems but now smells rich have a PCV and a autotune but still rich at ideal...?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Most likely the fuel pump not putting out enough pressure. Been there before, changed out the fuel pump and now my bike starts instantaneously.

·
Need More Money!
414 Posts
In the DIAG mode, all of my TPS Sensor Position's are exactly where they need to be. I am thinking Straight6, is right. I'm leaving for the middle east in five weeks, so I will just deal with the slow early morning starts till I get back. No since in changing fuel pump out and letting it sit for a year. By my return I would have had my r1 for 5.5 years regardless, so upon my return is the bet time to drop in fresh brand new fuel pump.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Shop around for a fuel pump now, brand new ones are expensive. It's an hour job once you get it. Keep us posted. Btw, with a fuel pump not putting out the right pressure, you're not getting the optimum power out of your R1. I know mine wasnt. Just my 2 cents.

·
Need More Money!
414 Posts
so i am sure you guys seen my power commander problem i posted yesterday, well since removing my faulty power commander, it fires up fast and fresh everytime. so the slow start was the power commander slowly giving out by not sending the correct signal to one of the fuel injectors, and finally gave out last night all together when bike stalled and would not restart and threw the code 39. so it took a month and a half for thr pc3usb to finally kick the bucket!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guy's

I know there is/has been tonnes of posts about the R1 cranking BUT not starting at all so my issue is slightly different.

I have a 07 R1 which cranks over and over before starting. Some times it takes so long I have to stop to rest the starter. Or on some occasions the battery lets me down. Even with a fully charged battery and still connected to the charger it still cranks and crank before firing.
Weather the bike is ridden every day or once a month it’s the same crank crank. Engine hot or cold it’s still the same.
It's annoying to the fact that’s its all ways in the back of your mind she's going to leave me sitting some where and not start.

Hi guy's

I have a 2008 R1, i had a similar issue. Mine was starting week and then it would start normal...i bought a new Starter and that fix the issue, i bought the starter for 109$ bucks trough Ebay. Naw it starts at the touch of the button.

·
Registered
5 Posts
have you checked the fuel pump? sounds like its not priming the cylinders and its just pulling the fuel as it can get it. i would start there

·
Registered
163 Posts
So oddly enough, I just pulled re-installed my motor a week or so back and ran into an issue where I couldn't get the bike to start, it would crank and crank and eventually drain a battery before it would slowly start to chug to life. Turns out I forgot to plug in the coolant temp sensor; only thing that that triggered me to double check it was the fact that the fans came on as soon as I turned the key & even after riding it, temp would just read high or low. Plugged it in and bike turned over business as usual. may not be of any use to you but figured I'd share just in case.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts