Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Scout!
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a new 07 R1. It runs great but i have one concern. It runs hot. hotter than my previous bikes. Is this maybe an oil level problem? or an oil type problem? Some times if i sit a red light for a bit it will get to 230 degrees (fans cool it off of course) but it just seems different than other bikes ive had. When im crusing it stays around 160 degress My other two bikes were Gixxers (750 / 1000). Any ideas?

·
unleash the beast
8,615 Posts
well the r1 always get hot.. you should try Engine Ice Coolant it work great.

·
Born to do trackdays
386 Posts
Welcome to the forum ! Please use the search facility. There's lots of info on this topic.

You'll see that this is a common charateristic of the R1. There's lots of advice posted on eliminating some of the heat. Wrapping the exhaust, different coolant, fan override switch, eliminating the cat etc.

·
Registered
995 Posts
you could try to use bardhal xtc-60 synthetic oil,it got fullerene inside that is an anti-friction addictive,it works good for me either on my R6 or on R1 it lowers the termperature by 4-5 celsius degrees and the clutch is perfect too.
For me, on yamaha's bike it's a must!
oh,and give a look at the level of your cooling system (i assume you already did),r1 07 are sold with not completely full of liquid cooling system .
the other way to lower the temperature is to gut the cat or to change it with an akra midpipe, cause the yamaha's engine is a lot suffocated by brand slip-on and cat...removing these and tuning will give you a better working engine with a decreased operative temperature range!
on other way (cheaper) is to make an external switch to activate the fans, so you could cool the engine when needed not waiting for 106 celsius degree when the fans kick in!

·
Have you killed a cat today ?
9,925 Posts
:stpd:

Yes that is typical of the R1, especially the 07's fairing was designed to extract and assist in escape of hot engine air. At low speeds it rises upwards and we are in the way and feel the heat (nice when it's cold though)

I fitted GYTR slip ons and it made a difference, especially under the seat. So all the above will assist. I got use to it quite quickly but it's a pain in summer, especially when you wear all the allready hot gear.

I will change to synthetic on my next service, it does make a difference.

:rock Safe Riding & Respect the Beast :fork

:boobies Rule !!!

·
[VET HNTR] Can Haz Teh Win?
2008 YZF-R1
754 Posts
Typically, my bike runs around 160-180 degrees depending on how hot the day is. It only gets around the 200 degree mark when it's not being ridden (sitting at idle) after it's been ridden at decently high RPM's.

·
I'm slow,but i may not be last
132 Posts
due to the more combustion rate tat leads to greater HP, as compared the heat with my previous rides on 01, 04 and 07, the heat is getting unbearable.

·
2007 Yamaha R1 (Gray)
4 Posts
I had the same concerns. This was a huge problem for me after upgrading from a '03 R6. I followed a few of the other posts: purchased an Akra Y-Pipe, had it ceramic coated and installed (yesterday).

So far so good, I took it for a post install ride and it seemed better. I think that I'll have to wait until a warmer day here in Northern VA (57 Degrees yesterday) to be certain.

I'll keep you posted.

·
unleash the beast
8,615 Posts
you should try Engine Ice Coolant it work great.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.